Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to rescue data on a bad drive.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I was told I might have better success posting here than in the hardware forum.
Mod Edit: Previous topic in Internal Hardware, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic470447.html/page__p__2857390#entry2857390 - Hamluis.

I have a windows XP computer. It is an AcerPower S220
Bios is Phoenix -AwardBIOS version R01-B0
SMBIOS version 2.3
Motherboard ID is E45M

I have 2 Hardrives both of them are 80 GB Barracuda 7200.7

A few days ago an employee was unable to to bootup their computer and would get the error "verifying dmi pool data" and would sometimes get update success or not and would display Boot from CD: and give a boot disk failure. I was asked to look into it so I looked into the BIOS setting and it could not detect the hard drive even if I asked it to find it. IDE Primary Master was listed as none and so where the others.

I swapped out the drive with an exact same one and it was able to boot up and detect the drive in BIOS and bootup normally. Well there was another problem with unable to detect the local network but that is probably a separate issue.

Anyway the drive contains some data that is needed so I decided to turn it into a slave drive so I took out the pin to the old one and made the new hard drive the master.

When I tried to bootup it would create the same problem. No hard drive was detected and I would get the "verifying dmi pool data error". Neither drive could be found. No matter which drive was set as slave or master and no matter which way the ATA cable was connected. It would not detect the hard drives. Only if the good drive was put in would it detect it and boot up normally. I tried resetting to factory defaults but it gave the same results.

I also tried a different computer and the bad drive gave the same results.

How can I access the data on the bad drive? Thanks for any help.

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2012 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi AzureDrag0n1,

It looks like you have taken several steps to resolve this issue with no luck. Does the drive spin? A way to tell is if the drive feels like a gyroscope in your hand as you move. If you put your ear to the drive do you hear the spindle motor start and hear the head click when you power the computer on and it tries to do its self test? It should click a couple of times only not keep clicking. The spindle motor should stay running not power down. If it does not, these are signs the drive is not able to self test. Then the circuit board MIGHT be the issue. You would need to find the exact circuit board with the same firmware to shotgun in and see. Depending on how valuable the data is you next option is to send it to a data recovery professional. A DRP will (should) be able to source parts to swap and get the drive working enough to attempt to extract the data. Spinning drive expect to pay $300 and up. Non-spinning expect to pay $600 and up (it might need a trip to the clean room).

If you are not sure if you want to try those suggestions you might want to see if a local family owned computer shop would check to see if the drive spins for you. If it does not spin there are multiple issues that can cause this and were back to a DRP if it is worth it to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users