Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's missing out of here?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Apokryphos83

Apokryphos83

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

I was given a computer by my father whom found it at his work place. He stated he could only get a blue screen on the system.
When I plugged it in, I got nothing, so I opened it up and it looks to me like there's a few things missing.
Graphics Card, maybe a Memory stick, and something else I can't really identify. (I'm currently a 29 y.o. former Paramedic/Chef and a freshman Cyber Security/Computer Forensics student.)

Anyway, I'm wondering if I need to take this to a computer shop to sell, or just spend some money to fix it. I noticed a 160 GB Solid State Hard Drive made by Seagate, with new wire.

Didn't see a Graphics card, and only one 256 Memory stick.

What do you all think?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Would you please post the make and model of this computer.

If the motherboard has onboard graphics and audio that would explain why there are no dedicated cards.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

It could turn out to be a decent computer for internet and Word Processing.

By the way that does not look like a Seagate Solid State drive. More like one of the 1/3rd height drives they sold a lot of.
Is there a windows License (Product key) on the computer?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Apokryphos83

Apokryphos83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Would you please post the make and model of this computer.

If the motherboard has onboard graphics and audio that would explain why there are no dedicated cards.

Thanks for the reply. Wow, 110 views and two answers...craziness. Wow, I wouldn't have thought of that. no dedicated cards... Anyway, I opened it back up, and looked at the motherboard...

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3160815AS

Series Barracuda 7200.10

Model ST3160815AS

Performance
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s

Capacity 160GB

RPM 7200 RPM

Cache 8MB

It also has a removable fan from the Motherboard...the disk that I have says: GIGABYTE S Series (Support AMD Socket AM2)--NVidia GeForce 6100/nforce. I have two disks that were in the computer...Both for Motherboard, LGA775 (6-Quad/-series).

As far as the computer goes, I can't tell what type, but it has an HP power supply

Thanks for your help...I'm trying to decide if it's worth scrapping for parts, or practice school work with.

#5 Apokryphos83

Apokryphos83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

It could turn out to be a decent computer for internet and Word Processing.

By the way that does not look like a Seagate Solid State drive. More like one of the 1/3rd height drives they sold a lot of.
Is there a windows License (Product key) on the computer?

Roger

Yes, quite possible...or running as a slave for #LOIC...j/k. Anyway, the inside is very clean, no dust. Just 3 cd's...2 for the motherboard and the third is an authentic Windows XP Professional cd, with the code on top of the pc.

Also the the hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ---160 GB

This computer was free to me, left on a job site...I called a Repair shop, to ask about selling...they said they'd hold it for two days check it out, then make an offer.

Just by what we know about it, is it worth trying to sell? (Broke college student here)...or should I try to fill in the missing pieces and make it run like a dream machine? Btw, it only has one Kingston KVR (can't tell size) Memory stick in it.

--I don't start my Computer Hardware/Software Classes till next Semester...so please forgive my ignorance....and thanks so much for replying.

#6 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

I can't tell for sure but that looks like an GA-M61VME-S2 motherboard. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2381#ov

If that's the correct board then you should have an onboard VGA port and the system would use DDR2 ram up to 8GB.

#7 Apokryphos83

Apokryphos83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

I can't tell for sure but that looks like an GA-M61VME-S2 motherboard. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2381#ov

If that's the correct board then you should have an on board VGA port and the system would use DDR2 ram up to 8GB.

That is indeed the right board. I checked on NewEgg and CNET, they said it's a good board for business use and seems to be crash and tweak proof.

I really have no use for it, as I have an HP Pavilion w/Windows 7 (AMD Vision Quad core), and an Alienware MX14 that I use for school and home, so I guess the next question would be what would the best thing to do with this machine? I don't really know what the right price to sell it to the PC Repair place would be, nor do I know how to make repairs to it. Would this be worth selling, or should I just keep it for practicing Hardware issues for next semester?

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can get it working on a different monitor and all.

Thanks again!

~Apokryphos

#8 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Not sure what it's worth at this point. I'm sure you could get something for it but at the same time it would be a good addition for your home forensics lab. :) I keep an old laptop around just for that reason. Infect it with malware and then practice doing analysis on the files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users