Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eesarahee

eesarahee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I have a HP Pavillion DV7 and about two weeks ago I began to get notifications of an eminent hard drive failure. I called HP to see what my options were and they told me they could set me up with a new hard drive for about $250. I figured there are cheaper options out there but HP wouldn't be the people to tell me what those options are, so here I am! So I have a few questions for you lovely technologically savy souls out there. As far as the hard drive goes, is there a specific one I need for my particular laptop or could I just buy any kind? The hard drive that is currently in my computer is a Samsung hm641ji ata device. Should I just get another one of those or are there cheaper/better options? Also if you have any recommendations for sites to buy these hard drives from feel free to let me know! Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

The main issue you could stumble when purchasing a hard drive is, were you able to create the recovery discs for the laptop?

Tekken

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

$250? It better be 256GB SSD. Otherwise, you can use pretty much any 2.5" SATA II hard drive. A solid state drive will perform better, and also cost more.

For a regular hard drive you can find a decent one in the $100 range.

You will need to make an image to restore if you aren't able to get HP recovery disks.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 SophiaChristchurch

SophiaChristchurch

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

I have a HP Pavillion DV7 and about two weeks ago I began to get notifications of an eminent hard drive failure. I called HP to see what my options were and they told me they could set me up with a new hard drive for about $250. I figured there are cheaper options out there but HP wouldn't be the people to tell me what those options are, so here I am! So I have a few questions for you lovely technologically savy souls out there. As far as the hard drive goes, is there a specific one I need for my particular laptop or could I just buy any kind? The hard drive that is currently in my computer is a Samsung hm641ji ata device. Should I just get another one of those or are there cheaper/better options? Also if you have any recommendations for sites to buy these hard drives from feel free to let me know! Thanks in advance for your help!

Barracuda ST31000524AS 1 TB 3.5" Hard is a nice find for a laptop hard disk and it only costs $95 more affordable than the amount mentioned earlier...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

Barracuda ST31000524AS 1 TB 3.5" Hard is a nice find for a laptop hard disk and it only costs $95 more affordable than the amount mentioned earlier...

No 3.5" hard drive is appropriate for a laptop. Laptops take 2.5" drives.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users