Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Tricks: Installing Heat Sink Assembly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HijackThat

HijackThat

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

I took out my heat sink assembly to clean it :thumbup2:

BUT...

now I can't get it back in. I thought tightening the screws would coax all the tiny prongs into their spots, but that is not the case... I've tried pressing hard, but am scared I might break the motherboard.

Are there any tricks or advice out there?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

If I'm reading you right the CPU came out with the heatsink?

If that is the case. Stop trying to push it back in. Take a magnifying glass and make sure that none of the pins are bent. There should be a release lever on the CPU socket that lets the CPU just drop into the socket. However it needs to be off of the heatsink for that.

Heating the heatsink gently with a hairdryer will let the CPU come off of it. Then you will need to clean the surface with Isopropyl Alcohol and use new thermal compound.

First check for bent pins. I hold the CPU horizontal and look through all the rows in both directions. If you find a bent pin come back for advice. I would be more afraid of damaging the CPU then the motherboard.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 October 2012 - 06:37 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Well...system manufacturer and model?

Different models of CPUs/heatsinks require different procedures...some of the older models aroused the same fears in me that you have.

The CPU must be properly seated...before trying to properly seat/secure the heatsink/fan.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#4 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thank you so much for the quick responses!

Yes the CPU came off with the heatsink. I wasn't able to get it off by heating it with a blow dryer, but I was able to get it off by soaking it in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and twisting the CPU off of the heatsink. I lifted the little lever, dropped the CPU back into its bed (easily), put new thermal paste on it (after thoroughly cleaning the old compound off), and my desktop is back up and running.

Now back to my other thread, trying to make my heatsink fan to stop being so LOUD (which is why I pried it out of the computer in the first place)

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users