Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC restarts when ethernet cable is plugged in

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JM Oney

JM Oney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

The problem is the computer(acer veriton m460) restarts itself as soon as the ethernet cable is plugged in and the network card is enabled. It will instantly restart without any error reporting. It will then continue to restart each time windows starts to load. It will also do this if you try to reboot in safe mode with networking enabled. If I connect the m460 to it's original switch on any other port it will experience the same problem. If I move the m460 and connect it to a different switch it works fine. I can connect a laptop to it's original ethernet cable and it connects fine. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the connection, changing bios settings for boot from lan, changing settings for power off the device, and I have restarted the switch. The M460 was running fine for years until this problem. It did occur on the same day as a power outage.

I have searched through many forum post on this issue and have yet to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name xxxxxxxx
System Manufacturer ACER
System Model Veriton M460
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2493 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. R01-C1, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name xxxxxxxxx
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 373.24 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.39 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2012 - 04:21 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Sounds like you may have a short in the system somewhere. I would remove the side panel, then be sure to ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case (and preferably do this on a linoleum or tile surface, no carpet) remove the motherboard and make sure theres no screws or other parts that fell down between the motherboard and the motherboard tray. If theres nothing there, make sure you put everything back the way you found it and double check all the connections are secure. If that doesn't solve the problem, the short is probably in the motherboard itself, you should be able to solve the problem by purchasing a PCI network card, and putting it in there and using that instead. PCI network cards are relatively inexpensive, and can often be found in old junk computers you find in a garage sale or purchased new for cheap, such as this one here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166005

Edited by the_patriot11, 04 October 2012 - 08:09 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JM Oney

JM Oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

We have ruled out a short. The computer works when it is connected to a different switch in another building. Other computers connected to the original switch are running fine. Any other computer connected to the original port and ethernet cable also run fine. If I connect the m460 anywhere else in the building where it has been having problems it will continue to experience them. I have unplugged a perfectly working computer, plugged in the troubled m460 and as soon as the ethernet cable is connected it restarts. There are plenty of other model m460's running in the building. We have identical switches setup in different buildings. One building the computer works fine, the other building it restarts when a ethernet cable is plugged up.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

its not a short in the buildings wiring I am talking about-I think something is wrong inside the computer itself, either a screw or other metal object between the motherboard and the tray holding it (unlikely) or the network portion of the motherboard itself is simply going out. If its the former, removing the motherboard and the object causing the short will fix it, if its the latter you will need an aftermarket network card like I suggested in the earlier post. The problem is not with your buildings wiring, the network cable itself, or with any of the other computers-the problem is inside that computer you have.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 JM Oney

JM Oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

The computer works 100% in another building on another switch. The network card works, I made the original post on the troubled computer after moving it. What would cause the network card to fail on one switch and work on another. I have moved the computer at least 10 times back and forth between the buildings trying different fixes. One building it always resets when the ethernet cable is plugged in and in the other it works 100%.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Was there a patch sent out recently through your network? They can turn off/restart computer via the network, perhaps there is a signal stuck in loop for your IP address, since diff buildings use diff routers/firewall, it wouldnt be in one but in the other.?? idk wild guess
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

do other computers work on said switch? If they experience the same problem, it could be a patch like silent has suggested-or it could be a bad switch or network cable.

picard5.jpg

#8 JM Oney

JM Oney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Switched out hard drives today and the computer still experiences the same problems. Pretty much narrowed down to a hardware failure on the motherboard. Why it works off one switch and not another is beyond me. I guess I'll just keep it in the building where it works, ha. Yes lots of m460's are running on the switch this one has had a problem on. I have turned off and on all the options for the network card I know. That includes bios boot from LAN etc.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Throw a PCI network card into it and see if it experiences the same problems.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users