Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Write Protected Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Here's a puzzler. I bought a batch of 160GB IDE hard drives off eBay for $25 (hey, 8 for $25, it's still a deal!). The only thing is, 3 of these hard drives aren't showing up in Windows. Ok, no biggie.

I go commando prompting in diskpart and sure enough, the drive is there. It's offline. Try to make it active or online the drive, and I get error: disk is write protected. I plugged one in, and it was already online and I was able to active it, however when I tried to format it, got the write protected message again.

So, I decided to try this on Ubuntu. Same exact message. Back to Windows, I changed the write protect value in the registry. No luck.

Any have any ideas/suggestions?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Have you tried a Google Search It gave me lots of links.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245174/restore_access_to_a_write_protected_hard_drive.html

1. Open a Command prompt by clicking Start, typing command, and clicking Command Prompt.
2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
3. Type list volume and press Enter.
4. Type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive that's giving you the "write-protected" error. In my case, I ended up typing select volume 3.
5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.
6. Type exit and press Enter.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285521-32-remove-write-protection-seagate-external-hard-drive

Easiest way is to use Windows dispart in the command prompt window.

Open the command prompt box with right click and run as administrator

Type each of these commands one at a time in this order:
diskpart
list volume
select volume n (where n = the problem volume)
attributes disk clear readonly
attributes volume clear readonly

After each of the last two you should get a response that it was successful.

Your drive should now be both read and write capable.

and many more

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 October 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users