Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comm Port 2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cel

Cel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop. Win ME all current updates done

It has a port on the side for a cat 5 cable but I cannot get it to connect to the internet via that connection.

Looking at devices it does not show a Comm 2 or a nic card. I reinstalled the tcip. I did a find hardware and it does not show any nic card there either.

Is there a chance that there is a port is on the side of the laptop without actually having a nick card inside? If so, how can I tell for sure that there is nothing there and not the one there not functioning.

I am able to connect with a special usb to cat 5 type tongle thing I picked up at a computer fair.

I am confused how can that work but not the port on the side. On Win ME how do I get a Comm 2. Comm 1 is for the phone modem and that works ok.

Thanks in advance
Take Care
Cel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:55 AM

Is the ethernet card listed in the Device Manager?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Cel

Cel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:35 PM

Is the ethernet card listed in the Device Manager?

No there is nothing listed under modems or network adapters.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

Download and run Everest Home. This will inventory all the harware on your computer. Copy and paste the type brand and model number of the modem and network deices. It could be as simple as the device has failed and a replacement is needed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Cel

Cel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

I checked this out and low and behold there may be a port for a cable connection but there is no hardware inside. The only modem listed is the one for a phone.

Thanks for the replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users