Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\Users\All Users refers to a location that is unavailable *error message*

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

working with vista homeprem sp2 32bit here. ran a quick avast scan a few minutes ago, it caught some small-time junk in the temporary internet files (which were purged easily enough), but it also pointed out C:\users\all users as "the system cannot find the path specified". so I open up windows explorer and try to go there. cue the "refers to a location that is unavailable" error message. now, I don't usually need to prod around in there so I'm not familiar with what normally happens, but I know vista loves to have a bunch of directories displayed that are shortcuts it uses for people who leave "hide protected OS files" checked (I don't, I want to see what's where) which really ought to not be shown when you're not hiding stuff but I digress, that's for MS to be groused at after win8 flops.

SO. should I panic that I've had another thing sneak past the security screens (mvp hosts file, spyware blaster, avast's shields, mbam scans)? nothing else seems out of sorts, but one man's paranoia is another man's preparation, and all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

This is normal.All users folder points to c:\programdata folder.These are called symbolic links.

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

okay. had some nasty run-ins with malware lately so I'm paranoid. it just struck me as odd because usually those symbolic links give an "access denied" error instead. well, thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users