Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two beeps as if laptop unplugged/replugged

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Threequalseven

Threequalseven

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Just an hour ago, something unusual happened. I was using my laptop, which was plugged in and fully charged, and suddenly it beeped twice and the screen went dim for a split second. It was as if the power in my building had gone out for a second - but it hadn't. A couple minutes later, the same thing happened again. Then again a couple minutes after that. So I unplugged my laptop and it stopped. Hypothetically, if I were to unplug my laptop and plug it back in 1/4 of a second afterward, it would produce the same symptom. *Beep* screen goes dim *Beep* screen is normal - All in a fraction of a second.

I checked the event viewer and nothing obvious came up. So I plugged it back in, and the same thing happened about 5 minutes later. I'm running unplugged right now, but I will have to recharge again at some point. My only theory is that perhaps this is a defense mechanism of the AC adapter so it doesn't overheat. I'm currently in South Korea and all the outlets run as high as 250V (as opposed to 110/120V in the USA), so maybe it's just getting too much juice?

Does anybody know what's causing this? I'm running Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire notebook. I don't want to fry my battery or my AC adapter (or anything else for that matter). Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

My guess is your AC adaptor is failing-either the cord got crimped and broke (which it sounds like) somewhere along the length of it, or something has gone bad inside the little box. You will most likely need a new power adaptor, unless you can find the broken part of the wire and have the capability of properly splicing the wires back together.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Threequalseven

Threequalseven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

That could be. However, it seems more like some kind of error signal than a loose or crimped wire. The two-beeps sequences were very consistent in length. Also, my charger hasn't shown any other symptoms that it's going bad (such as failing to charge the computer for any significant period of time). I plugged it in this morning, and it charged my laptop up no problem. I'm open to more speculation though. But as of right now, I'm leaning toward the belief that it was just getting too hot. If I'm wrong, I will post an update on here.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

My suspicion is that if it were getting to hot it would shut down for a while until it cooled off. Put a hand on it does it feel Hot? If so you could use a voltage step down transformer.

The symptoms suggest a bad connection somewhere in the Chain of power from wall outlet to Inside the laptop. Bad AC Adapter, loose AC power cord at wall or ac adapter. Bad connection at the laptop or inside the laptop or a wire breaking from to much flexing.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

that would be my thought-if it was overheating, the laptop would shut down-the fact that it runs ok on battery but not on AC tells me its power related.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Threequalseven

Threequalseven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

My laptop hasn't done it since the first time one week ago, which is good. And my AC cord still works fine and has plenty of slack.

I don't know why my entire system would shut down if just the AC adapter was overheating though. Wouldn't you think it would just switch to battery power? When it happened, the AC adapter was indeed rather hot, but my laptop didn't feel any hotter than usual. I have been unplugging my AC adapter from the wall as well as the laptop now, and, like I said, I haven't encountered this problem since.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

doesnt necessarily have to be a overheating ac adaptor, a crimped cord could cause a loose connection, that when moved wrong, could cause the power of your laptop to dim. (most laptops, when off AC power, dim the screen to save battery power) or the adaptor itself is starting to fail, which would be why it happened. Inconsistent power from your power source will cause the laptop to switch between battery and AC power, causing the screen to dim, light up, and dim again.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users