Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only open MS Office 2003 in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HDTF

HDTF

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

For some reason, I can no longer open Word, Excel, or any MS Office programs or files. This is for MS Office 2003 on a Vista 64 bit system. However, when I started in Safe Mode, I can open them. Obviously, I need it to work in regular mode. I was infected with a malware or rootkit or something not too long ago, but I thought I had accessed these programs and files after I had that cleaned up. New scans with Avast, Malware Bytes, Panda, and Hitman Pro, reveal no infection.

Please advise....

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

You can try to repair MS Office 2003 files. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821593

#3 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work.

Prior to trying your link, I also did an uninstall, then re-installed using the original disc. I also tried using the "Microsoft Fixit" tool from their website. None of this has worked.

It's giving me 2 error boxes when trying to launch an office document (.xls or .doc). The first box says "The application failed to initialize properly (error code 0xc0000005) "Click OK to terminate the application", then after you click OK, the next box says that it cannot find the file that I just clicked on (lists the file path), and the tells me to try typing the file name again. You can only "OK" out of the box and then you're back to square one.

Any ideas?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

What is the name of the file that it cannot find? Can you post the screenshot?

You can follow the instructions in this link http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm#Word_crashes_as_soon_as_it_opens_

#5 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with the file name. It will fail to start even if you just open the program itself, without launching from an office-related document. In these instances, where you're not launching from a file, it just has the first error box, which says what I previously mentioned: "The application failed to initialize properly (error code 0xc0000005) "Click OK to terminate the application".

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Did you follow the instructions in the link I posted ?

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

I just finished reading a topic about MSPublisher not working after a virus cleanup. Turns out it was the security program causing the problem.

What security programs do you currently have installed?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Before attempting to open the program or files, check what time it is.
Then open the files or MS office program and let it crash or close.
Then go to even viewer and copy and look for the error log associated with the time. Copy and paste it here please.

#9 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Did you follow the instructions in the link I posted ?

Yes, definitely.

I just finished reading a topic about MSPublisher not working after a virus cleanup. Turns out it was the security program causing the problem.

What security programs do you currently have installed?

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Avast and Malware Bytes.

Before attempting to open the program or files, check what time it is.
Then open the files or MS office program and let it crash or close.
Then go to even viewer and copy and look for the error log associated with the time. Copy and paste it here please.

Before I try this.... what is even viewer (or event viewer?) and where do I find it?

#10 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Typo. Sorry. It is event viewer.
Event viewer can be found by going to Control Panel ->> Administrative Tools ->> Event Viewer

Or... Copy pasting into an open window.

%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Event viewer is an application that shows all the log ins into your computer, successful or not.
Times of installation, faulty installations, times your computer has been shut off incorrectly.
Programs closing along with what may have caused it, or a faulty file or dll.

#11 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Typo. Sorry. It is event viewer.
Event viewer can be found by going to Control Panel ->> Administrative Tools ->> Event Viewer

Or... Copy pasting into an open window.

%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Event viewer is an application that shows all the log ins into your computer, successful or not.
Times of installation, faulty installations, times your computer has been shut off incorrectly.
Programs closing along with what may have caused it, or a faulty file or dll.

Thanks. I tried all of that, in the order you described. But no errors are showing up. Unless there's some specific place it would be that I don't know where to look.... but I snooped around in event viewer pretty thoroughly and saw nothing in the time frame of the crashes related to this prob. Any other ideas?

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Try this

Press Windows+R key and type

regedit and click ok

Go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\11.0\Word\Data

Right click on the key and export it and save it as a backup

Now right click on the key and delete it.Launch a DOC file now.Does that work?

Edited by narenxp, 14 October 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#13 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Try this

Press Windows+R key and type

regedit and click ok

Go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\11.0\Word\Data

Right click on the key and export it and save it as a backup

Now right click on the key and delete it.Launch a DOC file now.Does that work?

Well, here's a funny thing...
1) - 2 of the files I've been trying to test this with over the past week... 1 was a word doc (.doc) and the other was an xls excel file. Neither had been opening, as both excel and word would crash as described above. However, right before I logged in here to try this latest suggestion, the word doc all the sudden started opening ok. However, the excel file still would cause the crash.
2) - I went ahead and followed your regedit directions. Upon doing that, the excel file DID open correctly. I then checked the word doc, and it too still opened correctly.
3) - However, then I went to re-open the closed excel file, and now it's causing the crash again!
4) - I then deleted the key again, now only the Word doc will open, but the excel still causing the crash.

Very odd. Any further ideas?

Thanks!

#14 australia

australia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:06 AM

Thanks Romeo25!

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm#Word_crashes_as_soon_as_it_opens_ 

Worked for me- so far :-)

australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users