Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assembling my first PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beercradle

beercradle

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

So I am in the process of assembling my first PC, and I can say for sure that this was a bit of a mistake on my part, thinking that it would be easy for me to do. It was hard enough to even mount the cpu to the motherboard without breaking it haha.
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this kind of stuff, so if this needs to be locked I would appreciate it if someone would at least point me to the right community?

Anyways my first question is, there are 9 places for screws for my mobo/case but there are only 4 standoffs? Even though three of the nine places for screws have plastic standoffs on there already I am really not sure of where to put these things.

Second question would be, what am I supposed to do with all of these wires? I got as far as plugging in the 3.0 usb, the led lights (which I think might have been done incorrectly), and the power for my mobo (not sure if this is done correctly, see pic), then I was so confused I couldn't go on. I can't even figure out where to plug the fan connectors to, there doesn't seem to be any matching sockets. I don't know where anything goes, when to use which wires, such as 6gb/3gb, etc.
I pretty much don't know how to do anything atm, and the guides I see online are way too general and non-specific, the handbook I have here is too confusing and out of order, and it even skips some crucial steps (It did not even mention standoffs)

Anyways here is my build, any help would be awesome. So far most of the hardware has been fitted in the case, except for the recently detached mobo (standoff issue) and video card. I can also provide pictures if needed.

Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Me not knowing wtf I am doing
Posted Image
Second pic of me not knowing what I'm looking at
Posted Image

Edited by beercradle, 04 October 2012 - 06:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

Anyways my first question is, there are 9 places for screws for my mobo/case but there are only 4 standoffs? Even though three of the nine places for screws have plastic standoffs on there already I am really not sure of where to put these things.

The case should have contained a bag of screws and standoffs. You should add additional standoffs to support all 9 holes on the motherboard. This will help provide support when inserting ram, video card, etc. since the board will flex while applying pressure.

Second question would be, what am I supposed to do with all of these wires? I got as far as plugging in the 3.0 usb, the led lights, and the power for my mobo, then I was so confused I couldn't go on. I can't even figure out where to plug the fan connectors to, there doesn't seem to be any matching sockets. I don't know where anything goes, when to use which wires, such as 6gb/3gb, etc.
I pretty much don't know how to do anything atm, and the guides I see online are way too general and non-specific, the handbook I have here is too confusing and out of order, and it even skips some crucial steps (It did not even mention standoffs)

The smaller black wires with the L shaped connection are Sata connectors. You would use those to connect Sata hard drive, cdrom, etc. to your motherboard.

The larger cables are power connectors for various products. For example, the PCI-E connectors may be used by a video card. The 4-pin connectors are used by older hard drives and cdrom. Since you have a modular power supply you may not need all of the power connectors.

Posted Image

#3 beercradle

beercradle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

From what I am reading online, it seems that this case comes with all stand-offs pre-installed.

Do I need to do anything with onboard switches?

These two seem to be on the chart that you listed. They are both coming out of the case. What's the purpose of them and what do I need to do with them?
Posted Image

i know this all sounds stupid as hell but trust me i am trying..

Edited by beercradle, 04 October 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#4 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Do I need to do anything with onboard switches?

I doubt it but double check your motherboard manual to be sure. Usually everything is preset from the manufacturer and the only time you would change a jumper setting would be to clear the bios.

These two seem to be on the chart that you listed. They are both coming out of the case. What's the purpose of them and what do I need to do with them?

Most likely they are power connectors for your case fans. The larger one (4 pin) would use one of the power supply connectors. The smaller one would connect to your motherboard. The manual for the motherboard ought to show the locations for that connector or are usually labeled accordingly.

i know this all sounds stupid as hell but trust me i am trying..

We've all been in your position at one time or another. At least you are taking the time and asking questions instead of just rushing everything together.

#5 beercradle

beercradle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Ah yeah the smaller one seemed to hook up to the large fan on the side panel and I connected the psu to the 4 pin one. It looks like all the hardware is set in place. booting up in a bit. here's hoping that none of these parts came doa and i did everything right! thanks so much for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users