Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Win for the good guys: International investigation shuts down Tech Support Scam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

The FTC and authorities from Australia, Canada, India, and the United Kingdom have joined forces to crack down on tech support scams. Today it was announced that the joint investigation has resulted in the shutdown of an international network that was responsible for scamming tens of thousands of individuals. Targeting 14 companies and 17 individuals, to date the investigation has resulted in the freezing of nearly $200,000 in assets, and the number is expected to continue to rise as the investigation continues.

Read the full article at: http://www.zdnet.com/regulators-smash-global-phone-tech-support-scam-operation-7000005195/

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

This is great news, I had a friend who was recently called by one of these scammers. He told the person that he had a Mac though, the scammer just gave up. The number originated in India as the news article suggests.

#3 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

This is a VERY good thing to hear this morning .. being I work customer service for a legit Tech Support company .. we would have calls from customers saying Microsoft called them saying they need their computer repaired .. then the customer allowing them to do a remote support connection .. I am VERY happy to hear this .. YAY for the good guys!!!!!!!!!! :busy:

#4 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Grinler's dealings with them.
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#5 kingnick42

kingnick42

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

Good news to hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users