Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot cycling, hard drives stop being recognized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 staynight

staynight

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Over the past two weeks I've had a number of different symptoms come up:

1. While the computer is on and logged into Windows, one of the six hard drives will randomly stop being recognized. A reboot fixes it, but sometimes the next day or so another drive will suddenly disappear.

2. I had a power outage last week, and afterwards the computer began to reboot cycle. It would POST and reach the Windows login screen, then reboot and do it again. This happened for several minutes before it finally allowed me to log in, and seems to happen randomly again sometimes when I reboot.

3. The computer will shut itself off seemingly at random. When I restart it, sometimes it reboot cycles. Sometimes it doesn't. I haven't identified any pattern.

4. Today when I got it to log in after it shut itself off, it wouldn't recognize my mouse at all. I plugged a different mouse into a different USB port, but no luck. It then rebooted itself, booted up normally, and let me log in.

5. One of my mice double clicks on single click maybe 40% of the time. I don't think this is related and likely is just a dying mouse, but I'm mentioning it nonetheless just in case it somehow is a relevant symptom. Better too much than too little info.

Initially I thought it might be a hard drive failure, since the vanishing hard drives were the first problem. I have been running SMART tools since and only the backup drive has any warnings at all (and that drive has not yet stopped being recognized by Windows; it has been three of the others).

Then I thought it might be a RAM chip going bad. I ran memtest and encountered no errors. I was advised by a friend that memtest might not be comprehensive for only 4GB RAM, however. Windows and the BIOS have not stopped recognizing the RAM at any point.

After today's mouse/USB problems, I am adjusting my guess to a motherboard or CPU issue. But honestly, I'm stumped, and unsure how to troubleshoot this. I don't have spare motherboards, RAM, or CPUs lying around, sadly, and haven't got the money to replace all of them blindly with fingers crossed.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home 32-bit
4 GB DDR3 RAM (two 2gb chips)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 motherboard
GeForce GTX 560

This has been working smoothly for about a year until two weeks ago. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 staynight

staynight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Adding some notes in case others encounter this problem and I manage to fix it:

Some hours after I posted, the computer started shutting itself down every 10-15 minutes or so. I left it off for a while then turned it back on, and after reboot cycling a couple times, it stayed on long enough for me to research some more. I thought the power supply might have something to do with it and went to Best Buy this morning to have them test the drive (they sell PSU testers, but apparently only via website). They informed me they couldn't test it in store because it's a newer PSU and with the newer ones there's a chance they'll completely short out when tested. Okay..

They asked me about the symptoms a little bit and told me it was most likely the RAM or motherboard, and not the PSU. I left with a new PSU anyway, so I can try it out and return it within 30 days if that turns out to not be the issue (may end up keeping it regardless since the old one barely met the requirements for my setup at 550W).

So far no reboots. It started up normally without reboot cycling for the first time in a couple days. Fingers crossed.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

It is entirely possible that the power supply was damaged by the power outage. What usually kills them quickly is when the power cycles off and on rapidly several times.

That is why my Personal Computer is shut down until I need it. And the the switch that removes the AC feed to it is also thrown to the off position.

My External drives are also plugged into a Power strip and De-powered when not needed. Not leaving everything running saves wear and tear.my computers all boot fast enough that I don't mind the sub 1 minute that the slowest takes to boot.

My brother now shuts down and removes the AC to his computer, monitor, printer & external drives when he hears Thunder, after loosing a Monitor during a thunderstorm.

By the way I've never heard that the newer power supplies will short out if tested. I find that hard to believe.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 October 2012 - 03:43 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 staynight

staynight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

Yeah, I hadn't heard that either, and unless their equipment is particularly low quality or something, I don't see why they should be shorting out PSUs. So far the replacement still seems to be the solution as I haven't had any further problems.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Good To hear that you have no more problems.

If the advice seems questionable then get a second opinion.

As for why I do not totally trust a Power Supply tester

1. cheap ones have good / no good LED lights
2. Better ones measure voltages.

None of them really load the power supply. I have seen power supplies that pass on a tester and still are no good under a load in a computer.
Thus if the show wrong voltages or missing voltages then the Power supply is bad however showing all is good doesn't make it so.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 October 2012 - 10:36 AM.
Clarity

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users