Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:49 PM
Over the past two weeks I've had a number of different symptoms come up:
1. While the computer is on and logged into Windows, one of the six hard drives will randomly stop being recognized. A reboot fixes it, but sometimes the next day or so another drive will suddenly disappear.
2. I had a power outage last week, and afterwards the computer began to reboot cycle. It would POST and reach the Windows login screen, then reboot and do it again. This happened for several minutes before it finally allowed me to log in, and seems to happen randomly again sometimes when I reboot.
3. The computer will shut itself off seemingly at random. When I restart it, sometimes it reboot cycles. Sometimes it doesn't. I haven't identified any pattern.
4. Today when I got it to log in after it shut itself off, it wouldn't recognize my mouse at all. I plugged a different mouse into a different USB port, but no luck. It then rebooted itself, booted up normally, and let me log in.
5. One of my mice double clicks on single click maybe 40% of the time. I don't think this is related and likely is just a dying mouse, but I'm mentioning it nonetheless just in case it somehow is a relevant symptom. Better too much than too little info.
Initially I thought it might be a hard drive failure, since the vanishing hard drives were the first problem. I have been running SMART tools since and only the backup drive has any warnings at all (and that drive has not yet stopped being recognized by Windows; it has been three of the others).
Then I thought it might be a RAM chip going bad. I ran memtest and encountered no errors. I was advised by a friend that memtest might not be comprehensive for only 4GB RAM, however. Windows and the BIOS have not stopped recognizing the RAM at any point.
After today's mouse/USB problems, I am adjusting my guess to a motherboard or CPU issue. But honestly, I'm stumped, and unsure how to troubleshoot this. I don't have spare motherboards, RAM, or CPUs lying around, sadly, and haven't got the money to replace all of them blindly with fingers crossed.
Windows 7 Home 32-bit
4 GB DDR3 RAM (two 2gb chips)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 motherboard
GeForce GTX 560
This has been working smoothly for about a year until two weeks ago. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.