Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New lap top not happy with 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

I bought a new laptop, I don't like 7! What is stopping me from scrubbing it an loading XP on it? Is there any thing that would cause an issue??

Edited by OldPhil, 03 October 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Two things.

1) Microsoft no longer supports XP and

2) Your laptop may not support XP (there may not be XP compatible drivers available for all of the hardware)

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

What don't you like about it?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Guess I am a die hard, I am very comfortable with XP to me one of their best! Probably just need some time to get use to it! Thanks for the get backs!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 03 October 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#5 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Try running XP inside Windows 7 with VirtualBox?

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Installing XP over Windows 7 is definitely not the way to go. As Allan said, Microsoft no longer supports it and although you may be able to use legacy hardware, most of the newer hardware does not come with XP drivers.

If it is a superficial thing you like about XP, there are several third-party theme packs which you can install to make Windows 7 look like Windows XP. I haven't personally tried any, but a quick google search for "windows xp themes for windows 7" revealed several results.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

There is a learning curve to Windows 7. It's new to you and you just have to play around with it for a while.

One of the best features to me is the snipping tool. It allows you to take a screenshot of a specific part of a page if you don't want the whole screen captured.

If you have any questions about it all you have to do is ask.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Dug this up again! It is getting better as far as getting around, but I still have a nagging issue with the graphics relating to games. I enjoy the card games what I do not enjoy is the "Jump Down Turn Around" glowing out line around the cards. They is more like an arcade game, I wonder why MS in their infinite wisdom decided to in my estimation ruin the card games. Is there a way to tone the graphics down?

Phil

#9 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Just deal with change i guess cause Microsoft has already launched Windows 8, yes Windows 7 is a learning curve but try to be a tech ..hah. its like well alot different.. Just stay with 7 for now youll get used to it, its really not that different on an enduser's point. Youll be fine.

#10 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

You are talking about the aero theme which makes stuff look weird and enhanced, you can just turn that off and pick a more traditional look. You can adjust the colors , and that stuff ,it uses less juice without aero too. Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users