Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing my harddrive at home while traveling

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AKRefugee

AKRefugee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

My wife and I will often times work from the same files from different computers. This is not a problem when we are both at home
because I have the program Network Magic that allows use to share the printer and the external hard drive attached to my computer.

What I am trying to figure is what programs I will need and how will I need to configure my computer so that when either of us are on the
road we can easily access the external hard drive so that we can retrieve a file from the external hard drive but also work on it and save
the updated file on to the external hard drive at home. I want us to be able to work so we only have one copy of lets say a spreadsheet so
that we are both working off the same one instead of having to each have the same spreadsheet on each computer and hope that we tell each
other about any changes we made while we are on the road. I looked at making my computer an FTP server but the way I understand it is that
all we would be able to do when on the road is download files so we would not be able to upload the file when we have individually updated it.

I am not a computer guru but I can follow directions with the best of them. The key thing is that it has to be as uncomplicated as possible
or the wife will not use it and it has to be operational with the equipment we currently have. I will get what ever programs I need.

I have a wireless route that is hard wired to the home computer and two laptops that attach vie the wireless. I have an external hard drive
and a printer that are also hardwired to the home computer. Leaving the home computer one all the time is not a problem if required.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
AKRefugee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi,

Watch the video and see if its something that could work for you.
https://www.dropbox.com/ its free!

Moderator Edit: Affiliate Link removed
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 October 2012 - 09:17 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

What about using a remote desktop program so that it is the same as using the computer at home.
It does have to be on of course and you need broadband Internet.

It actually is if you were sitting at the home computer and doing the work on it.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 AKRefugee

AKRefugee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

What about using a remote desktop program so that it is the same as using the computer at home.
It does have to be on of course and you need broadband Internet.

It actually is if you were sitting at the home computer and doing the work on it.

Cheers
Roger

How easy would this be for my wife to use? As I said it has to be easy or she will not use it.
Would she be able to access it from a computer other than her own?

Thanks
AKRefugee

#5 AKRefugee

AKRefugee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hi,

Watch the video and see if its something that could work for you.
https://www.dropbox.com/ its free!

If you want to signup please use my invite! :wink:

No I do not think this is my solution. The way it was explained in the video I would have three copies
on three different computers. If any one of the computers is not hooked to the internet then all three
copies would not be synced. Which is exactly what the problem is now. One source, one document that is the goal.

Thanks for your response
AKRefugee

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

What windows are you using?

Here are a couple to look at. One from Microsoft.

Connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Connection
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/Connect-to-another-computer-using-Remote-Desktop-Connection
With Remote Desktop Connection, you can access a computer running Windows from another computer running Windows that is connected to the same network or to the Internet. For example, you can use all of your work computer's programs, files, and network resources from your home computer, and it's just like you're sitting in front of your computer at work.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284931
Installing Remote Desktop Web Connection in Windows XP

or

https://secure.logmein.com/
https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/products/
Basic remote access to your PC or Mac over the web. Stay connected no matter where you are for free

Here are a couple to help you decide if this would work for you.

You log from your remote computer. I found it easy to do once it was setup.

Hope this helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

I want us to be able to work so we only have one copy of lets say a spreadsheet so
that we are both working off the same one instead of having to each have the same spreadsheet on each computer and hope that we tell each
other about any changes we made while we are on the road.

Any of the remote solutions proposed will not work if the idea is that both can work at the same time on the same spreadsheet.
Also I'm not sure you can connect simultaneously with two different users using Logmein or similar products. With Windows Remote Desktop you can have multiple connections but you need a Server OS for that on the computer you want to access.

If you and your wife want to work at the same time on the same document you need to consider a solution like Google Docs or Microsoft SkyDrive that make possible to do real-time collaboration.
http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=44680

Edit: May this article can be useful 5 Ways to Collaborate on Documents Online in Real Time

Edited by SleepyDude, 14 October 2012 - 04:47 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

This is not a problem when we are both at home
because I have the program Network Magic that allows use to share the printer and the external hard drive attached to my computer

If you use logmein or Teamviewer it should be no different than you both being at home on your individual computers. If you're looking for a free solution, logmein has the advantage that you really don't need to download any software, it installs via the web browser. You could install a remote program such as this on both of your home computers and it will be as though each of you is sitting at your own computer at home. Teamviewer has file transfer for free as well as an Android (and probably iphone) app.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#9 BAKERSFIELDBOY211

BAKERSFIELDBOY211

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

I would say Teamviewer is my pick by far,,, I've been using it for years
It let's you set up a password and you can log on any time (But like, bjamrok said,you must leave your computer on) and the external Hraddrive too while your gone. The monitor can be turn off.
Very easy to set up and its free. you can also reboot your system if needed and log back on
as as long as your set up that way.

#10 AKRefugee

AKRefugee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the ideas all. I will look into these suggestions to see if one of them might be my solution

#11 PrasantaShee

PrasantaShee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:30 AM

You can remotely access your computer using tools like logmein, R-HUB remote support servers etc. 

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

I'll go with Team Viewer also.  It is free for personal use.  Basically you will use your remote machine to connect and control your home machine.  The biggest advantage to this is that you're not moving files off of your network.  Must people have a good download speed, but their upload speed is a very small fraction of their download.  This means that large files will take a lot of time to download, which is what you would be doing if you open them on a remote computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users