Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Start Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MajorDriver

MajorDriver

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Am I being really stupid?

I have now installed Windows 8 on to computers. Each computer has 2 accounts on it, neither of which have passwords. Why on start up does it insist on automatically logging on to the account it was in when shut down. When putting in a password, it stops at the login screen waiting for the password to be entered!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Does that for me and I havnt been able to figure out a way to stop it. This was an issue in Vista and 7 as well unfortunately.

#3 MajorDriver

MajorDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have never seen this in Vista or Windows 7. It's a new one on me. Very frustrating!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

In vista and 7 it would instead show your username and then another button for "Other users". I played with it all morning after seeing this topic and I couldn't get Windows 8 to show all the users on my machine. Instead it kept defaulting to the last login like you are seeing.

On 7, some had success by removing all the sids found in this registry key other than the system ones (systemprofile, networkservice, and localservice):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList]

This does not work well on Windows 8 as it kills your Metro profile and all your apps, etc are gone.

#5 MajorDriver

MajorDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the info Grinier. I will keep investigating.

#6 kingnick42

kingnick42

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Have had that problem as well, don't think there is a getaround as yet. Hopefully M$ will fix this before it is fully released.

Edited by kingnick42, 18 October 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Have had that problem as well, don't think there is a getaround as yet. Hopefully M$ will fix this before it is fully released.

I have a TechNet /msdn acct and have the full version of win8 pro installed and it loads to the user who last used the computer ,so its not fixed in full release

Edited by caperjac, 19 October 2012 - 05:24 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users