Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep Mode Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wheat=believer

wheat=believer

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

At the end of August my computer began going to sleep often, and when I would try to wake it sometimes it would not come out of sleep mode. It usually wakes up when I tap/touch the mouse pad. It stopped doing that, and the only way I could wake it was by pressing the power button. After a short while that stopped working. I had to take the battery out and unplug; then reboot it. One day it would not come on at all. I assumed it was the battery because I've had this battery for almost five years. I bought a hp spare battery hoping this would solve the problem. The computer comes on, but it still won't come out of sleep mode. I've reset the power plan settings on my computer, not that I thought anything was wrong with them in the beginning. I don't know what to do. I use my computer too much to have to remove the battery and reboot just to use it after it sleeps. I use Windows Vista operating system. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

I've reset the power plan settings on my computer,not that I thought anything was wrong with them in the beginning

does that meant that you turned sleep mode off ,and computer stills go to sleep ,

I don't know what to do.

turn off sleep mode ,maybe windows is ,crashing/locking up , and not sleeping

Edited by caperjac, 03 October 2012 - 05:54 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 SophiaChristchurch

SophiaChristchurch

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

At the end of August my computer began going to sleep often, and when I would try to wake it sometimes it would not come out of sleep mode. It usually wakes up when I tap/touch the mouse pad. It stopped doing that, and the only way I could wake it was by pressing the power button. After a short while that stopped working. I had to take the battery out and unplug; then reboot it. One day it would not come on at all. I assumed it was the battery because I've had this battery for almost five years. I bought a hp spare battery hoping this would solve the problem. The computer comes on, but it still won't come out of sleep mode. I've reset the power plan settings on my computer, not that I thought anything was wrong with them in the beginning. I don't know what to do. I use my computer too much to have to remove the battery and reboot just to use it after it sleeps. I use Windows Vista operating system. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

If your operating system is crashing maybe you need to re-install your OS to solve your "sleep mode" problem...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

I experienced something similar recently, my wife's laptop wouldn't wake. I unplugged all the peripheral devices, unplugged the power adapter, removed the battery, and held down the power button for thirty seconds. I then plugged everything back in and it started and hasn't repeated the problem as yet. This was over a month ago.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 wheat=believer

wheat=believer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Caperjac: When I reset the settings, I did not turn off sleep mode. I haven't tried turning it off yet, either. I'll try it soon.

dc3: I tried unplugging everything, taking the battery out, and holding the power button down for 30 seconds. The screen went black
because of inactivity. I touched the mouse pad, and the desktop was showing again. Everything was fine. When I logged off,
closed the lid, and tried to use it again, the log in screen did not appear. The power button was blinking on and off. I held
it down, but nothing happened. I had to unplug it and remove the battery again.

SophiaChristChurch: I hope I don't have to re-install my OS.

Thank you all for your comments.

P.S. Now that I've thought about it maybe it's not having problems in sleep mode. Maybe it's having problems in hibernation mode.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

I guess people use computer in different ways ,for as long as I have had a computer [1996 win3.1]I have never used sleep or hibernation mode ,well not never ,but not since it gave me problems years ago ,I just don't see the need for it,i have screen set to turn off after 10 min , when I know im not going to be using the computer for a few hrs I shut it down ,,only take 40-60 seconds to boot it back up

Edited by caperjac, 06 October 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#7 wheat=believer

wheat=believer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I disabled sleep mode about a week ago. Every since I did that, things have been working fine. Also my computer was overheating and cutting off, so I did some internet surfing and found out that placing it on a soft surface, which is something I do all the time, will keep the fan from keeping the laptop cool, so now I place it on a hard surface. It hasn't overheated since. Thanks for the advice.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

nice to see you got it sorted ,happy computing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users