Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSOD's & lockups...help? :(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lilyjae

lilyjae

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hello! I need help and ASAP :(. My laptop sucks. Basically what's been going on is my laptop seriously doesnt stay on for more than an hour without it crashing or hanging. Or just randomly restarting itself. I've scanned and scanned for viruses and trojans, spyware, adware, all of that. I'm convinced that is not the problem. This has been going on since around May-ish. I sent it off to get fixed, which they did do and it was running semi-faster but the random blue screens and lockups are still happening to this day. I'd send it back but now it's out of warranty and well..yeah. Sometimes when it hangs, or crashes and I have to reboot it, it doesnt even turn on. Sorry for this terrible explanation but I'm about to try my best lol. I have an HP (G71) and there's 3 little lights or indicators at the bottom of my computer. There's a power indicator, a lightning bolt for when the charger is plugged in, and then a symbol that looks like a little stack of 3 cds. When the laptop starts up successfully, the power indicator and the "3 cds" lights up. But when I restart it after a crash or hang, half the time it turns on but just sits there. What I mean by this is, it turns on, the power button and the wifi button lights turn on along with the num & capslock, and track pad lights. But the computer does nothing. I also noticed that when this happens, the "3 cds" doesnt light up. I have to restart it until both the power indicator and the "3 cds" lights up for it to successfully turn on and start windows. I know that probably doesnt make sense but it's the best I can do. Sorry. :(
I had my brother look at it (he's better with this kind of thing then I am) and he downloaded Glary Utilities and ran the whole module thing. He then told me that whenever I had the problem again to open Glary Utilities and run the registry cleaner. This was kind of a quick fix for a while, seeing that after I did this my laptop definitely started running better. I hadn't seen a blue screen and it stopped hanging for maybe or almost a weeek. Then the problem came back. I ran the registry cleaner, like he said, and it worked for about 3 days. Then it came back...again. Now running the registry cleaner does nothing and I'm lost. I really don't want to have to put out money to get it fixed but I will if I have to because I'm on a broke college budget and I don't really have money to get a whole new laptop. I downloaded BlueScreenViewer I'm going to post the log if that helps, I lurked a little and saw a lot of people doing that, sorry if I'm jumping the gun here. I just really need help. Thanks in advance!! :)

I know the log is long by the way, I apologize. My computer crashes that much.

Edit: took the log out of the post because it was way too long. I felt kind of stupid haha so I'm just going to attach it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   62.27KB   8 downloads

Edited by lilyjae, 03 October 2012 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

The log seems indicative of corrupt system files, namely the kernel (not a good thing).

Do you have a Windows 7 installation disk?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 lilyjae

lilyjae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

No I don't have an installation disk. :(

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Have you attempted a system restore? For it to be effective, you would need to restore to a date prior to August 19, which appears to be the onset of your problems.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#5 lilyjae

lilyjae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

I've tried system restore quite a few times, the first time this started happening, a few times after that, and every time Windows failed to start (which has been alot) and I was given the option. Nothings changed unfortunately.
I just checked now though, and that would be useless because for whatever reason the only restore date listed is 10/2/2012.

Edited by lilyjae, 03 October 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

FWIW:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Louis

#7 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Have you backed up all of your data to an external hard drive/flash drive?

I <3 Linux

#8 lilyjae

lilyjae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Had no idea about the potential of registry cleaners! Thanks so much for the info! That's shocking...I guess I got lucky being that it didn't make my situation worse. Or better.

As for having my data backed up, I do have a flash drive that has most of my important documents and such. Things for school, pictures I don't want to lose, music, stuff like that I have backed up. Everything else on here I'm not too worried about. I just want to get this thing fixed! :)

#9 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

The following instructions are destructive and will rewrite the contents of your hard drive. Only proceed if you are absolutely sure you have backed up any data you don't want to lose.

Restart the computer and press the "Esc" key when the message appears saying "press <esc> for startup menu".

Once you see message saying "press <f11> for recovery", go ahead and press F11.

Follow the on-screen instructions for a system restore - factory default. (May also be called a factory restore).

Again, this will destructively restore the data on the hard drive to its condition when it first started up from the factory. These instructions assume you haven't installed a new version of Windows, formatted the hard drive, or deleted the recovery partition. If you have done so, you will not be able to execute the factory restore.

I <3 Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users