Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not booting and shutting off during boot

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 asparagus

asparagus

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

So I was told to move my thread to this forum by Hamluis. It is hard to condense what all has happened into 1 post. Here's the original post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic469460.html

Basically I was having a problem with my PC BSODing and shutting off. It kept shutting down during boot but then started working well enough to reinstall my chipset drivers which seemed to be causing the BSOD.
Upon doing this I got more crashing and the message "this hard drive does not support HPA, please press any button to restart". I then fiddled with my boot device order.
If boot device order is all HDDs, then boot sequence stops after saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data............." if boot order has CD/DVD drive in first spot, it stops after saying "boot from CD/DVD". if boot order has a HDD in first spot and CD/DVD drive in a subsequent spot I get the "Verifying DMI Pool Data............." then "boot from CD/DVD" before it stops. It also seems to be shutting down inexplicably and randomly during the boot sequence or while in bios.

Any advice on how should go about figuring out what is causing these problems and fixing them?

Computer:
I'm running windows xp SP3(32 bit)
Gigabyte K8Triton nForsce SLI
AMD 3500 64bit
Nvidia Gforce 7800
2GB RAM Corsair XMS 2x1GB
windows install on a 150GB Western Digital HD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Related post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic469460.html/page__p__2847593#entry2847593 .

Louis

#3 asparagus

asparagus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I would also like to add that there is data on the main HDD that is important for me to save (if possible) so that will need to be addressed before we attempt a reformat. just FYI

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Good morning,

Sorry for the delay in addressing your problem.
Edit:.Further analysis of your bugcheck report from bluescreen view indicates your video card driver is causing the crashes. The bugcheck code "Thread-stuck-in-device-driver" indicates the driver is either incorrect, corrupted or the graphics card is bad. Continue with step 1. Then download Video Memory Stress Tool extract the .zip file and locate the sub folder VMTCE burn the .iso image to a cd or dvd. Boot the problem pc using the cd and run the test put a check in the log errors and file log. Note: A full scan of your graphics card with a large ammount of memory could take several hours even days. Use the fast or express option instead. If the card passes, continue with my instructions. If the card fails you will need to purchase a new one.

First lets start by getting your data safe. Remove your hard drive, If you have access to another PC please let me know (I am assuming you do since your post on the forums unless your posting from a mobile device)
  • Download Memtest86 and burn it to a Cd/DVD Rom (in your previous post you mentioned this would not run please try agyain).
  • Set your computer's boot sequence to boot from CD/DVD rom drive first.
  • Run memtest and report any errors.
If you are unable to run memtest.

• Unplug the power cord to the PC
  • Locate the CR2032 Watch battery on the Motherbooard (looks like a quarter) and remove the battery
  • Hold down the power button to the computer for 10 seconds
  • Replace the Battery and boot the computer into the Bios setup
  • Reset the current Date and time
  • Try and run memtest again.

Credit to Raymond CC blog for the link and overview of VMT

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 October 2012 - 11:56 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 asparagus

asparagus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Unfortunatly couldn't get Memtest to work. THe Boot stopped after these lines:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: (blah blah blah)
PXE-E53: No Boot File Name Recieved
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
Disk Boot Failure. Insert system Disk and Press Enter

My memtest is an older version (3.5) so, maybe I should try it with a newer version? I'll need to get some CD-Rs if that is the case. (When will they ever make these things boot from a usb drive? what do people with ultrabooks do? buy an external disk drive?)

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

Your computer is trying to boot from the network card. Disable network boot and make sure your cd/dvd Rom drive is the first boot device. Your system should be able to boot from usb if you have a bootable usb drive. Your version of memtest should be just fine.The newer versions support for additional hardware doesn't apply here. Make sure the disk is clean and free from finger prints and smudges.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 October 2012 - 02:20 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 asparagus

asparagus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

I should have said that it had tried to boot from the CD/DVD before giving me that error. At any rate I picked up some CD-Rs today and it was able to boot to the Video Memory Stress Tool which is running now. I am guessing my memtest is shot so I'll burn another, run it, and update you.

edit: Video Memory Stress Tool went through seven successful passes before spontaneously shutting down.

edit 2: Sure enough a new copy of memtest booted well but only ran for 5min (no errors) before my PC shut down.

Edited by asparagus, 09 October 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

When this system shuts down...that seemingly would indicate a PSU problem or something greater, IMO.

Are there any onscreen error messages when this happens?

The PXE error message typically may be seen when the CMOS battery needs to be replaced, since a weakening battery can cause what appears to be hardware errors, IME.

Louis

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

:thumbup2:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 asparagus

asparagus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

Are there any onscreen error messages when this happens?

No, no message it just shuts down suddenly. If it was the battery, wouldn't the clock in my bios revert to some other time?
Is it safe to say this isn't being caused by my HDDs, since it's still happening when both are plugged in?
how do I tell how big my PSU is? Is that what I should test next?

Edited by asparagus, 10 October 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#11 asparagus

asparagus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

just replaced my mobo battery. Still shutting down. Should I try my PSU now?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I would have done that first. Losing power...PSU...definite possible connection there, IMO.

Louis

#13 asparagus

asparagus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

any advice on how I should go about doing that. I'm concerned that I'll pick up a PSU and it will end up being my mobo. Can one normally return a psu after unboxing it and using it?

#14 asparagus

asparagus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

ok so I picked up a new PSU and plugged it in. i ran memtest just to see if it would work and after about 12min it shut down. Ran it again with the same results. So it must be my mobo? are we sure it is not my cpu?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

None of us can be "sure" of anything regarding your system...we cannot see it, touch it, swap components, etc. We rely on your words.

As far speculation about the CPU...I would say that hard drives...PSUs...motherboards...and RAM...all have a statistically higher failure rate if such could be ascertained.

I'm no tech or IT person of any sort, just a frequent user...you probably ought to wait for some inputs from other members with more experience re hardware matters.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users