Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Url Timeout

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Al_graze

Al_graze

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:17 AM

I noticed that my biggest problem with internet is that pages timeout... I type a url and 3/5 times ill have to hit the refresh button because the page supposedly started to load but didnt do so fast enough

I noticed that when I used the windows task manager (ctrl+alt+del) in the processes tab to set the priority for firefox.exe to "AboveNormal" pages loaded perfectly.. and didnt have this timeout problem, actually it seemd that pages loaded faster and all... it was great... however, everytime I closed firefox, the priority set back to "Normal"

Is there anyway to set firefox's priority to "AboveNormal" permanently???

PS - I got rid of ALL malware on my PC, and used Dr.Tcp to tweak my Tcp settings in order to optimize internet (ISP advertised speed of 512kbps / actual speed of my connection is 452 kbps (56.5 KB/sec.) / 121 kbps (15.1 KB/sec.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

Have you deleted your internet temp files?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

A long but detailed explanation of Firefox:http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_10.html

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:35 AM

How much RAM do you have installed?

#5 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

Everest Report:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

CPU Type Intel Pentium III-S, 1200 MHz (9 x 133)
Motherboard Name Intel Eaglewood D815EGEW (4 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Solano i815EG
System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (10/16/01)

*** Deleted all the contents of the windows temp folder and emptied the Temporary Internet Files... :thumbsup:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

I am assuming the rest of the functions of the computer aren't slow.

Is this a new problem - did it connect well before?
How do you connect to the internet?
Have you removed any av or firewall programs just before the problem began?
Have you removed or installed any other programs just before the onset of this problem?

What browser are you using? If IE, have you tried another like Firefox and if so, does it have the same problem?

#7 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

I first started to notice a general decline in overall speed both in internet and PC a couple of months ago... I removed all malware from my PC through updated versions of Ccleaner, Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Windows Defender, Ewido and CWShredder; then I went online and ran a Bitdefender full system scan followed by a Panda ActiveScan.

I was adviced to ditch Norton (resource hog) so I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2006 (AV, firewall, antispam, etc) using their removal tool (installation CD) however it definitely DID NOT remove all of the symantec and liveupdate files in my PC; so I used ExplorerXP to find and delete NIS2006 remanents in <Program Files\Common Files> and <Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data>. Finally I used Ccleaner to analize my registry and deleted the left over norton entries.

Here is a list of what I run on my PC:
  • Browser: Firefox (+ fasterfox)
  • Antivirus: AVG free
  • Firewall: ZoneAlarmPro
  • Spyware Tools: Spybot S&D / AdAware SE / Spyware Blaster / CWShredder
  • Registry Cleaner: Ccleaner / Registrar Lite
  • Other useful tools: TuneXP 1.5 / Explorer XP / Tcpview / WinOptimizer Platinum 3
Presently, the rest of the functions of my PC are back to normal speed (100% NO spyware, virus, etc), but internet speed still remained somewhat sluggish. I use a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem (ISP: amnet.co.cr) and do NOT have to use a router/NAT... unfortunately, a week ago, I learned that the speed provided is barely 512kbps. I dowloaded Dr.Tcp to help out with the TcpReceive (RWIN) settings to maximize my connection's potential... and its helped, somewhat...

BUT... even after all this, pages (not always, but regularly) time out (both in FF and IE)

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

I don't have an answer for you to why you speed is not as high as you would like. I also have a cable HSI, and to date have never reached the 6000kbs (6Mbs) as promised. What is the suggested up/down load speed your service claims? What service did you test your speed with? Try toast.net to test your speed.
One point I would like to make, you really do need a NAT router. Even a one computer LAN need the protection a NAT router provides by hiding your computer from the internet. Like everything we recommend it is just one part of a layered security system to protect your computer/LAN

Router
Antivirus
Antispyware
Online scans (routinely)
Firewall (software)

Unfortunily it is one of the recommendation that is not free, but essential.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Some of what you removed may have altered the settings in your Winsock.

Run this:

WinSock XP Fix 1.2
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

Disable Fasterfox - it is probably overwhelming a 512 connection.

Are you on a very old cable system? 512mbps is extremely slow for cable.

What is the promised connection speed?

Also - shutdown your computer and reboot your modem - just unplug it for 30 seconds or so. Plug it back in and turn your computer back on.

Try a few different speed tests. Do the one acklan suggested and then do this one:
http://www.testmy.net/

Let us know.

#10 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:32 AM

Called my ISP and their promised connection speed is 512/128 kbps, I know its slow... that really sux!
  • Ran WinSock XP Fix 1.2
  • Disabled Fasterfox
  • Shutdown my computer and rebooted my modem
The only problem now is that pages do seem to load a little slower, which is weird because the speed tests are pretty much the same as before the changes... The timeout problem is 98% gone: the only pages that timed out were DSL Reports and (ironically) Bleeping Computer all the other ones were fine.

Test My Net = 483/123 kbps
Toast Net = 475kbps
DSL Reports = 452/118 kbps

Should I use Dr.Tcp (or any other program) to change my Tcp receive settings, or should I just leave that alone?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:13 AM

You have to take into acount that the server for those sites might have something to do with the speed. I know Download.com barely lets me DL over 300kbs. Every now and then it ill creep into the 500kbs range.
Remember sites pay for bandwith, and most limit he DL per user. That is why programs that allow you to open mulltiple connection to the same server are popular. Try it. Download a file with a single connection. Then your the Download manager that allows you to plug in multiple connections at once . You will see each connection it about the same.
If the promise you 512/128 and you are in the 400kbs, I believe you are getting you money's worth. IMO You can loose 30 to 50kbs just in poor line quality.
Where are you? Cox offers 256/256 for $25/mo. How much is 512/128 mo?

#12 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:27 AM

Im in San Jose, Costa Rica

My ISP (amnet.co.cr) charges $48/mo :thumbsup:

I understand that servers do have something to do with my speed, and the timeout problem is much better (It isnt as big of a hassle any more), its just that right now my problem is that pages actually load a little slower than before... so I dont know if I should tweak my Tcp settings with Dr.Tcp again or do something...

PS - (Go to suggested Tcp Settings) only problem is that if I use the recommended 13800 for my RWIN, speed decreases even more, and even worse, I've done everything to change my MTU to 1500 (I ping tested it and I can definitely use that value) but evidently, my ISP sets it to 1420 everytime...

Edited by Al_graze, 19 March 2006 - 05:35 AM.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:38 AM

You should back up your Registry, and make a Restore Point for System Restore first. If something goes wrong you want to be able to revert back to the original setting. I have never ued that product so I cannot recommend it. Just be advised that it will make changes to the registry that could harm your connection and even worst you OS.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

#14 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:41 AM

Ok, I'll try it out... I'll post again later on

Thanks for all the help!

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:43 AM

Remember. Backup your registry and create a new restore point. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users