I first started to notice a general decline in overall speed both in internet and PC a couple of months ago... I removed all malware from my PC through updated versions of Ccleaner, Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Windows Defender, Ewido and CWShredder; then I went online and ran a Bitdefender full system scan followed by a Panda ActiveScan.
I was adviced to ditch Norton (resource hog) so I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2006 (AV, firewall, antispam, etc) using their removal tool (installation CD) however it definitely DID NOT remove all of the symantec and liveupdate files in my PC; so I used ExplorerXP to find and delete NIS2006 remanents in <Program Files\Common Files> and <Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data>. Finally I used Ccleaner to analize my registry and deleted the left over norton entries.
Here is a list of what I run on my PC:
- Browser: Firefox (+ fasterfox)
- Antivirus: AVG free
- Firewall: ZoneAlarmPro
- Spyware Tools: Spybot S&D / AdAware SE / Spyware Blaster / CWShredder
- Registry Cleaner: Ccleaner / Registrar Lite
- Other useful tools: TuneXP 1.5 / Explorer XP / Tcpview / WinOptimizer Platinum 3
Presently, the rest of the functions of my PC are back to normal speed (100% NO spyware, virus, etc), but internet speed still remained somewhat sluggish. I use a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem
(ISP: amnet.co.cr) and do NOT have to use a router/NAT... unfortunately, a week ago, I learned that the speed provided is barely 512kbps
. I dowloaded Dr.Tcp to help out with the TcpReceive (RWIN) settings to maximize my connection's potential... and its helped, somewhat...
BUT... even after all this, pages (not always, but regularly) time out (both in FF and IE)