Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Gaming PC Build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DezoLord

DezoLord

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hello.

I would like to build a custom gaming PC. I've looked at online shops where they allow you to pick the parts that you want in your gaming rig but when I will eventually buy all those parts separately and put everything in, I am afraid taht something might not work out. What if I buy a faulty GPU, PSU etc? What if during the building process I break something or plug in a wire to a wrong place.

There is a website called DinoPC where you can customise your own PC. So I chose these parts:

Intel Core i7 3770K
Xigmatek Prime SD1484 or H60 Water Cooler
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
120GB SSD S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion PCI-E
Coolermaster HAF 932
850W Corsair HX Modular

= £1,328

Right now, I don't have that kind of money to buy this PC and it will take me a few months to save up for it, so I decided to buy the parts separately and build the PC on my own.

What what do you think should I do? Should I buy these parts myself or save up enough money and order it from DinoPC?

Edited by DezoLord, 03 October 2012 - 08:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

One thought your choice here for a SSD

Go for a SATA III 6Gb speed, Whatever brand you buy read the user reviews. There are a couple of SSDs I would buy and a couple I would run away from based on user reviews.

Next do you need the creative sound card? The built-in sound isn't bad

Audio Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

Next to save money up front why not use the built-in Video until you can afford better.

Graphic Integrated Graphics Processor
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DisplayPort ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1696 MB
Supports Intel® HD Graphics, InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™

Then do you need 16Gb of memory to start with? DO you need it at all. Is there a Game that needs it?
My I7 computer which is the one with the most memory installed only has 6Gb and I have never run into a need for more. I do General Internet stuff with it as well as using HD 1080i video, encoding and authoring of DVD and BluRay disks.

I Multitask and often have email, internet, capture program or encoding and authoring programs open and no slow downs.

You could save money up front by starting with 8GB of memory.

I also strongly suggest not buying piecemeal over a period of time. If you get any bad parts it will be past the time to return them by the time you get all the parts and do the build. I suggest saving the money up to buy all the parts at one time.

Whether to build it yourself or have it built is something you need to decide. If you have it built they do any troubleshooting needed to get it working Vs you having to troubleshoot if it doesn't work.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 October 2012 - 09:32 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

One thought your choice here for a SSD

Go for a SATA III 6Gb speed, Whatever brand you buy read the user reviews. There are a couple of SSDs I would buy and a couple I would run away from based on user reviews.

Next do you need the creative sound card? The built-in sound isn't bad

Audio Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

Next to save money up front why not use the built-in Video until you can afford better.

Graphic Integrated Graphics Processor
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DisplayPort ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1696 MB
Supports Intel® HD Graphics, InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™

Then do you need 16Gb of memory to start with? DO you need it at all. Is there a Game that needs it?
My I7 computer which is the one with the most memory installed only has 6Gb and I have never run into a need for more. I do General Internet stuff with it as well as using HD 1080i video, encoding and authoring of DVD and BluRay disks.

I Multitask and often have email, internet, capture program or encoding and authoring programs open and no slow downs.

You could save money up front by starting with 8GB of memory.

I also strongly suggest not buying piecemeal over a period of time. If you get any bad parts it will be past the time to return them by the time you get all the parts and do the build. I suggest saving the money up to buy all the parts at one time.

Whether to build it yourself or have it built is something you need to decide. If you have it built they do any troubleshooting needed to get it working Vs you having to troubleshoot if it doesn't work.

Good Luck
Roger

I was looking for that answer. Thank you very much.

So is it really important to do the testing after the build? I mean, all those websites were coded to do something like if I choose to buy the GTX690, a window comes up that says something like 'You need a more powerful PSU in order to use this card properly'. So if I choose all the parts for a complete custom built PC and no error messages come up, what can go wrong after I put all those parts together? The only problem that I know that could go wrong is a faulty item not working.

Edited by DezoLord, 03 October 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hi, What can go wrong is any of the parts can be completely or partially defective.

Some examples, Bad memory could let you boot up but keep crashing. A motherboard like that has a lot of features. Any feature could be bad. USB3 for example.

Plus if the build it they should be burning it in as well as testing all functions. How good a job they do at that will depend on the seller.

I also noticed no Operating System, My suggestion is Windows 7 Professional as a good balance between features and cost. For many if no most the lower cost Windows 7 Home Premium is OK too.

Since it appears you will be gaming If you are thinking about Windows 8 you should check with the support people for teh games you play to see if they will work.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

850W power supply seems to be an overkill. A 600W should be more then enough especially if you don't plan to use multi-gpu.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

If I were you I would save up the money and just by everything at once. New CPU and GPU technology is right around the corner.

#7 DezoLord

DezoLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

Thanks to everybody for your answers. I decided to save up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users