Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Defender - installed itself

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Need Help with getting rid of Windows Defender as I hear it is dangerous rogueware.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Can you give us the actual name? Your title says Win Defender and in your message you write Windows Defender.

Windows Defender is a Microsoft product.
Win (7) Defender is rogue software.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Didier,

It is Windows Defender, just went and checked, so it's real, great, for now it is off,deferred to Norton's NIS, Thank you so much, May I ask one more question, I now have a Samsung Easy Software manager, I really like their simplified approach. I am getting alot of updates from Microsoft ,that end up in the programs list on Windows 7, is that the way that it is supposed to be?
Thanks,
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#4 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Didier,

It is Windows Defender, just went and checked, so it's real, great, for now it is off,deferred to Norton's NIS, Thank you so much, May I ask one more question, I now have a Samsung Easy Software manager, I really like their simplified approach. I am getting alot of updates from Microsoft ,that end up in the programs list on Windows 7, is that the way that it is supposed to be?
Thanks,
JIm

Which ones in particular? Update are supposed to appear under "View installed updates" in Control Panel's Programs and Features menu. If you say they "end up in the programs list", as in the All Programs list in the Start menu well that's strange.

Posted Image

Edited by master131, 04 October 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#5 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

Master 131,
No, they are not going there ,but where programs should be,in the toolbox list, I can't tell whether they are programs are what, they are all microsoft,some in other languages.
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#6 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Toolbox list? What do you mean. Perhaps you could take a screenshot to explain what you are talking about?

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I am getting alot of updates from Microsoft ,that end up in the programs list on Windows 7, is that the way that it is supposed to be?

This list is displayed in the program list when you select "View installed updates".

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

To Master 131,
Look at your screenshot,you have view installed updates ,they show up in the list on the right,Sorry, I did not read your comment above your picture that recently installed updates go to the progams list in the Control Panels' Programs and Features menu. Does that make sense?
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#9 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:15 AM