Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password display when typing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnuguy

gnuguy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

I have short term memory problems. Is there a way to set the password characters to show/display while typing? I'm a hermit so security over my shoulder is not a problem.

And, do the arrow keys not work on moving certain web pages up and down? Do I have a setting checked incorrectly? It works fine on this Bleeping Computer page, but not on either of my bank account pages. I am using Firefox for now til somebody says MS browser is safe again (emet?) I seem to have less response with the arrow keys with Firefox than I had with Internet Explorer. Thanks for reading.... gnuguy

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Tips and Tricks to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 October 2012 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Since you're using Firefox you can use the Show My Password 2.0 add on. As for IE being 'safe' it's not the browser itself. It's the how the settings within the browser are used, and the person using the browser and their Internet habits. The rumors about one browser being 'safer' than another are vastly over hyped.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer about the arrow keys. I never use them, nor use Firefox so I don't have a point of reference. Hopefully someone else will know.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

To use arrow keys, the focus should be on scrollable page. Some sites are made up in such a way that you have to click on the scrollable part to use arrow keys.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

A bit more info on arrow keys and addons that might help.
How do I set firefox to scroll with arrow keys? | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Click the orange Firefox button, go to Options | Options | Advanced. In the General tab, checkmark "Use Smooth Scrolling".

Also, either of these two add-ons might help: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yet-another-smooth-scrolling/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/smoothwheel/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users