Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Failure. Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zizoo

zizoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Hi guys

I am need of some help with a problem i am experiencing on my Toshiba Satellite C650 laptop. I should let you guys know that im not very savy when it comes to the technicalities of computers so please bare with me!

Last night while using my laptop i got a popup msg from microsoft windows informing that:

"windows detected a hard disk problem"

When i opened up the details it told me:

The following hard disks are reporting failure:
Disc Name: ST9500325AS
Volume:C:\

I left my laptop on through the night to backup the data on my laptop onto an external hd, when i woke up this message was showing on a black screen:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
For Antheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.1.9(12/15/09)
Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key
No bootable device – insert boot disk and press any key

I restarted the laptop and after 10 or so minutes without warning a blue screen pops up with this message

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
Technical information
Stop: 0x0000007A (0x00000020,0xC000009D,0x88FC1BDC,0x00000000)
Collecting data for crash dump…
Initializing disk for crash dump…
Physical memory dump FAILED with status 0xC000009C

At this point the laptop will restart by itself and once the laptop is running again this blue screen will appear anywhere from a few seconds to 30 minutes after the laptop is turned on.

I tried removing the hard drive from my laptop as i am thinking of having a go at replacing it myself so i played around to see if its easy to remove. I only got up to the point of removing the outer lid on the laptop that reveals the hard drive. However now when i turn on the laptop it wont even start up. Once it gets to the 'Starting Windows' screen it just stays there, in a constant state of loading. Im not sure if this is a result of my tampering of the hard drive or just a coincidence :S

Is this a problem just with the hard drive or is it more complicated then that? Will this problem be fixed by just changing the hard drive? If so is there anything else i need to do once a new hard drive is installed? Ie: after installing a new hard drive the laptop will turn on and run as it did before just without all the data/programs installed from the replaced hard drive. Is my laptop possibly beyond repair?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated guys :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

The PXE error could be a loose connection or a bad hardware. However the bad hard drive is replaceable provided you have the discs to install a fresh Windows. Try using a bootable disc and see if you can recover first your saved files : http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/data-recovery/recover-files-from-hard-disk.html#.UGvmN1E4Ejm

Tekken

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

If you have a Linux Live CD you can use it to recover files if the hdd is not too far gone. Using the Live
CD will help you determine if you have other problems than the hdd. The Live CD does not use the hdd.
Only run from your CD-ROM drive and RAM (memory).
Run only as Live...DO NOT install.

Download Ubuntu 10.04.4 link: PC (Intel x86) desktop CD (works in most PCs and Macs)

How to burn a CD: Burn a CD on Windows | Ubuntu

EDIT: 2 short videos on how to remove hdd and how to reinstall.
Toshiba Support Forums: Satellite (Pro) C650 (D) - How to replace defective HDD?

Edited by buddy215, 03 October 2012 - 09:22 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

PXE errors...are often an indication that the CMOS/RTC battery is failing and needs to be replaced.

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB8A02G90000R01.htm

Louis

#5 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hi Zizoo

My experience with
Stop: 0x0000007A
is that it is almost always bad sectors in the part of the disk used for the virtual memory paging file. That would explain the seemingly random appearance of blue screen errors because you never know when Windows is going to try to access the bad part of the paging file. Since a "windows detected a hard disk problem" popped up, it's a sign that the bad sectors are spreading and the drive needs to be replaced.

If you have data on that drive that you need, you should follow Buddy215's instructions and let him help you recover it ASAP. The longer you wait, the harder it may be to get your data off of the drive.

James

#6 zizoo

zizoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the response guys,

I've recovered all the data that i need from the laptop so thats all good. My main concerns are whether the problem will be fixed by replacing the hard drive and whether the laptop will be up and running without having to use any cd's to install programs as i am not sure where i have placed all the cd's that came with the laptop :S

I might just end up taking the laptop with a repair shop if the problem is too complicated for me to fix myself.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

If you have viewed the 2 videos for removing and replacing the hdd, then you have seen
that that is a rather simple thing to do. Requiring only a screw driver and a new hdd.

If you made recovery discs when you first got the computer and can find them then using them will reinstall all the
software that was originally on your computer.

If you do not have recovery discs then the simplest thing to do is purchase them from Toshiba.

Once you have installed the software then you need to go immediately to Windows Updates and
get all the updates to secure your computer before doing anything else online.

If you are concerned about there being other hardware issues on your computer then using the
Live Ubuntu CD would be a good thing to do. If the problem is only the hdd then you will be able
to actually use the CD to run Firefox browser and go online. Though a bit slower than if it were installed on a
good hdd.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users