Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer slow after reformat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techman7

techman7

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

RAM: 4GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz 2.34GHz
Company of Computer: Lenovo

I reformatted my computer to try to make it faster. I did this by booting it up from the vista cd that came with the computer, and then formatting the disk and installing the OS again from the disk. It took about a day to install all my programs again, and do windows update. After it was all installed, I noticed that firefox was freezing and crashing very frequently, especially when I was viewing Youtube videos. So I switched to chrome. Even with chrome, I experience lag, but it did not crash nearly as often as it did with firefox. I would experience an issue where neither firefox or chrome could lode webpages. My internet was fine because my smartphone was able to use the Internet, but the browsers kept showing that it could not connect to the website. It wouldn't even connect to sites such as google, facebook, and youtube. This problem fixed itself in about 4 minutes, but it has happened several times today. Overall, my computer has been slower than from before I reformatted it. It takes a while for vlc player to start a video, and it often lags when going to fullscreen. Looking through folders will lag. Mostly my usual daily computer activities are significantly slower. I ran checkdisk, but it was fine. I also ran sfc/scannow, and it said it had repaired some files. I also got an error message from windows saying that my version of flash was not compatible with this version of windows. So I uninstalled and reinstalled flash. The same flash I had before, and the one I had is for vista...
A little while after that, Norton 360 found a trojan(look at picture). But I did a full system scan yesterday, with no items detected. And about an hour before the trojan was detected, I scanned with malwarebytes, and it found nothing.
And just now, Norton 360 gave me an error(look at picture)
If you need any more information, please ask.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thank You

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hi there,

Allow me to offer some suggestions here:

- Get rid of Norton 360 (clean uninstall) and install something like Microsoft Security Essentials (FREE).

- I see you already have Malwarebytes installed, so use it passively from time to time

- Leave the Windows Task Manager and Resource Monitor running to monitor cpu/mem/resource consumption when the lag occurs. Also, check to see if it's a particular program causing problems.

- Use a program like HWMonitor to check your system temperatures to rule out overheating

- Clean out the insides of your PC case with a can of compressed air

- Use a program like HDTune or a utility offered by your HDD manufacturer to check the health of your hard drive and fix errors if any.

- Consider updating your device drivers

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go from here.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 techman7

techman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi there,

Allow me to offer some suggestions here:

- Get rid of Norton 360 (clean uninstall) and install something like Microsoft Security Essentials (FREE).

- I see you already have Malwarebytes installed, so use it passively from time to time

- Leave the Windows Task Manager and Resource Monitor running to monitor cpu/mem/resource consumption when the lag occurs. Also, check to see if it's a particular program causing problems.

- Use a program like HWMonitor to check your system temperatures to rule out overheating

- Clean out the insides of your PC case with a can of compressed air

- Use a program like HDTune or a utility offered by your HDD manufacturer to check the health of your hard drive and fix errors if any.

- Consider updating your device drivers

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go from here.

I don't think Norton 360 is causing any problems. I have used it for a few years, and just renewed it for another year.
I installed CPUID harware monitor. (picture)
I ran the Lenovo HDD diagnostic tool, it said everything was fine. 1 year ago I had a corrupted harddrive which was replaced under the warranty.
I just installed an update for Intel Graphics driver.

I will soon clean the physical PC. Do you want me to open the case of the PC and then use the compressed air? Or just use the can of air from the outside and blow it through the holes?

Also, when the lags occur, the programs using most resources are the web browsers (chrome or firefox) and svchost which has 2 processes constantly using 150mb of memory each.

Attached Files

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

Download Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#5 techman7

techman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

Download Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/folzLqqBiyONMadyWVhD5we
It does say I don't have antivirus and a firewall, but Norton 360 is running.

Edited by techman7, 03 October 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

I would follow Reviversoft's suggestion of removing first Norton to check on the difference. You can reinstall it after if it made no improvement. Checked if windows firewall is not also enabled or running at the same time.

Tekken

#7 techman7

techman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I would follow Reviversoft's suggestion of removing first Norton to check on the difference. You can reinstall it after if it made no improvement. Checked if windows firewall is not also enabled or running at the same time.

I do not want to be left open to the threat of viruses. Do you recommend that I install a different antivirus while Norton is uninstalled?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Of course...that goes without saying.

Avira Free, Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials...three that are commonly used and considered reliable.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users