Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer for gramma

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 evilnalmut

evilnalmut

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Good afternoon.

My gramma is beginning to have performance issues with her 6 or 7 year old gateway laptop.

She would like to spend no more than 500 dollars on a new computer.

She primarily uses her comp for web browsing, but also uses outlook email and her new neat desk scanner which has some bloated software as well as Microsoft excel and word.

She may have a couple programs running at one time. She mostly plays simple solitaire games.

She has some photos but not an enormous collection.

I feel pretty savvy when it comes to building a computer from scratch but I don't know which components are competative or whether buying a completed tower would be a cheaper option.

She would probably prefer a tower this time around and she has a monitor but it is large and old and perhaps a slimmer flatscreen would fit better on her desk if it would fit the budget.

Thanks for any advice you can provide, I have always valued your opinions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Something like this is more then enough and it will definitely last for a very long time also this monitor would be fine.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

How about a laptop? You can get a nice 15.6" laptop easily in 300-400 range. And your grandma wont have to sit on desk to work on it, she can use in bed too :)

Check them here : http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=223&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Edited by Romeo29, 02 October 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Buy something, don't bother trying to build. By time you consider the parts, monitor, and operating system (I doubt she'll use Ubuntu), you're easily exceeding what you would be able to find on Newegg that can perform the exact same function.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Newegg is not the only vendor worth checking...Tiger Direct and Amazon each exceed Newegg in some way, IMO.

Both carry more choices and each can be slightly less expensive than Newegg.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have to agree at the budget point you mention buy a ready to go computer.

Presuming you are in the USA the best bang for the buck could be this method.

Look in the Sunday papers or online for advertisements with sales, In no particular order.

Look at BestBuy, Walmart, Staples, Office Depot, any other chain near you. Such as in my area, PC Richards. Look for a package deal that includes the monitor.

Going this route with this weeks deals I found a All In One HP 20" (Non Touch screen) for $480, Touch screen version $100 more, a HP with a 20" monitor for the same price and a Gateway with a 21.5" monitor for $490.

All under your $500 price point and all decent. I mentioned the All In One as they take up less space and if you get the Touchscreen model it'll be ready for Windows 8 too. the AIO usually from what I've seen are OK, usually Wireless Keyboards & mice and Internet, and the same footprint as a monitor only so despite being a little slower from using laptop processors they do the job.

Your Gramma might like a nice big screen and a small footprint without cables running all over like a tower would have.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 October 2012 - 12:36 PM.
Spelling and Additional content

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users