Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix wont uninstall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam D321

Adam D321

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

I had scanned my computer with combofix and it had gotten rid of my browser hijacking virus, I am now trying to remove Combofix by typing 'ComboFix /u' and 'Combofix /uninstall' in run and the cmd prompt but nothing works, it will either come up with the same screen which happens when I scanned it or do nothing. Although when I typed 'ComboFix /uninstall' my computer randomly shutdown, I was just wondering if my computer shut down for a reason and how do I uninstall combofix as im really confused.

Btw I also tried to change the name to 'uninstall.exe' and it still came up with the same 'Run' screen, started Extracting folders and then finally the blue admin screen came up where I then used my task manager to end it as I dont want to run it again :s

Side note: I had moved the ComboFix to my Documents and when I rename the ComboFix to 'uninstall.exe' and click on it the disclaimer comes up with the 'I agree' option, and I believe that is the installation screen.

Edited by Adam D321, 02 October 2012 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

We're you following this... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Edited by jburd1800, 02 October 2012 - 09:01 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

The correct way to uninstall ComboFix can be found here. This is the same guide provided by jburd1800 but the link goes directly to the instructions.

Side note: I had moved the ComboFix to my Documents and when I rename the ComboFix to 'uninstall.exe' and click on it the disclaimer comes up with the 'I agree' option, and I believe that is the installation screen.

ComboFix needs to be on your desktop.

Delete the old version, re-download it from here, save to the Desktop (<-Important!!!) and follow the instructions above to properly uninstall it from your computer.

After that, you can remove the ComboFix.exe program from your Desktop by right-clicking and choosing delete.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users