Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forum Ethics

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Funky Cloud

Funky Cloud

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

Is it ethical to post questions about a computer networking problem that I came upon as part of my job that I was unable to solve?

I would like to explain the situation, out of personal curiosity, to elicit the suggestions of others more knowledgeable than I as to what they think the solution may have been.

I would do this not so that others can do my job for me, but rather so that I can perform my own job more effectively in the future and better myself in the process.

I understand, however, that questions related to work situations may be frowned upon, and be kindly told to please go contact my IT dept.

Were that an option, I would.

Any comments or questions or questions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

I would do this not so that others can do my job for me

As long as that's the case I see no problem with it. The main purpose of the forums is to share knowledge and often times people that help out learn just about as much as those being helped.

Not to mention that others who may read the thread might be helped also.

And we can't prevent everyone from using knowledge for monetary gain. Just keep in mind that any help is voluntary and others may not be willing if they think you are making money off of it. Also if it is a real sticky situation a solution may not be known or too time consuming or not communicated effectively.

As long as there is mutual respect and expectations aren't too high, I think such posts are fine. That's my opinion. :thumbsup:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users