Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bandwidth being used even after playback is stopped

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dexoran

Dexoran

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

EDIT: Sorry for the multiple posts of this thread. I have no idea how that happened.

Hello.

I've been having an issue with my bandwidth.

I recently installed a bandwidth usage meter on my PC. I've found that when I watch a movie on YouTube, the bandwidth usage continues to increase even after I close the browser. So, if I start watching a streaming video and decide to close the window before it finishes, it continues to waste my bandwidth. The only way I've found to stop it is to either put the computer to sleep or shutdown. Otherwise, it just keeps increasing.

Is the bandwidth supposed to be used when watching streaming videos even when the browser is closed? If not, how can I stop my PC from wasting massive amounts of bandwidth unnecessarily?

Thank you.

Mod Edit: Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2012 - 04:13 PM.
Removed multiples

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

Try looking here http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/meter-manage-computer-bandwidth-usage/

Tekken

#3 Dexoran

Dexoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Try looking here http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/meter-manage-computer-bandwidth-usage/

This page provides no explanation as to why streaming videos continue to consume bandwidth even after the browser is closed. The utility suggested is only a bandwidth monitor, which I already have. I'm trying to find out how to prevent the unnecessary bandwidth use when starting to stream a movie and then closing the browser window.

Thanks anyways jhayz

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

The problem might be your bandwidth meter software. You should try FreeMeter http://miechu.pl/freemeter/ and check.

#5 Dexoran

Dexoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

The problem might be your bandwidth meter software. You should try FreeMeter http://miechu.pl/freemeter/ and check.

My ISP allows me to check my bandwidth usage daily online. My bandwidth meter information corresponds with my daily usage statement from my ISP. But just to be sure I tried Freemeter anyway, and it provided the exact same information.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Download TCPView from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx
Notice Recvd Bytes column in TCPView before and after you close browser. See which application is downloading bytes. You have to be quick.

#7 Dexoran

Dexoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Download TCPView from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx
Notice Recvd Bytes column in TCPView before and after you close browser. See which application is downloading bytes. You have to be quick.

Thank you so much Romeo29.

This program was exactly what I needed. It displayed the processes that continued receiving bytes endlessly even after the browser was closed. I simply terminated the connections and my usage meter stopped increasing in just a couple of seconds. Problem solved.

One question though, if you don't mind. I terminated the processes by right clicking the process and selecting 'Close Connection.' Should I have used 'End Process' instead? 'Close Connection' seemed to work for me, but I just wanted to be sure doing so was safe.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Close connection simply disconnects those applications from internet, but they may connect again.
End Process terminates those applications altogether.

If you end an important process, it may stop some functionality of a program in your computer.

Can you tell us which processes you found downloading even after the browser was closed? Even better can you take a screenshot of TCPView and share with us?

Edited by Romeo29, 06 October 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#9 Dexoran

Dexoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Close connection simply disconnects those applications from internet, but they may connect again.
End Process terminates those applications altogether.

If you end an important process, it may stop some functionality of a program in your computer.

Can you tell us which processes you found downloading even after the browser was closed? Even better can you take a screenshot of TCPView and share with us?

Certainly.

Only the 'firefox.exe' process(the top in the list in the screenshot) had to be closed to stop bandwidth usage from increasing. The first screenshot is when the browser was open and streaming video. The second is a few seconds after the browser was closed.

Edited by Dexoran, 07 October 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi Dexoran,

It seems to download adult / illegal videos from a site. But because you watch only Youtube, this might be a case of infection. Because a BC Advisor is not allowed to give advice in malware infection matters, I would ask a moderator to take proper action.

#11 Dexoran

Dexoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi Dexoran,

It seems to download adult / illegal videos from a site. But because you watch only Youtube, this might be a case of infection. Because a BC Advisor is not allowed to give advice in malware infection matters, I would ask a moderator to take proper action.

I suspected a program or files were being downloaded in the background while my bandwidth was increasing. I decided to check if my hard drive space was being consumed simultaneously. Since there was a significant amount of bandwidth being wasted, I am certain nothing was saved to the hard drive. No content suggested was even displayed (popups, etc) while watching content from Youtube.

Nevertheless, I will run a virus/spyware scan in the meantime just to be safe and contact a moderator immediately.

Thanks again for your prompt and helpful suggestions. It is most appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users