Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP on a QQosmio G25-AV513 - Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rowshell

rowshell

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

This has been giving me issues for SEVERAL weeks. I think I've tried everything so I need another brain.

From the beginning,

This pc has 2 SATA drives, suppose to be set in a raid configuration. (I've tried both raid and JSOB and both to no avail).
This also does not have the ACPI settings in bios.

Tried to reinstall Media Center Edition since that's what came on it but quickly found out the slot load cd drive will not read burned disks (which rules out the NLite slipstream option I later attempted).

Also, it appears the pc does not recognize any usbs either for 2 reasons I find:
One, a USB cd drive didn't boot either (not even with an OEM cd)
Two, as I later attempted, the F6 3rd party raid install(located on a flash drive) but my OEM XP Pro cd will not recognize me pressing F6 to perform the raid driver install. And, once it goes thru setup, I get some message stating mass controller driver error something, I can't remember, it just has a problem with usb sticks.

Which also rules out the option of installing xp via usb.

So, in an experimental gesture, I faked out the computer by putting Win 7 on a sata hdd (configured as a usb install) and was able to successfully install the raid drivers via usb AND the operating system on the other hard drive BUT the problem is other drivers, Toshiba does not have driver support for Win 7 OR Vista.

I've got to get this thing to take a Win XP operating system.

I may have tried other options I just can't think of now but if anyone out there has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate 'em.
My last ditch effort was to do what I did with Win 7, to XP, but can't find any research on making a sata hard drive an actual bootable device to install xp from. (That may sound confusing, lol).
That second sata drive seems to be the ONLY thing this computer recognizes as a boot device.

Oh, and I don't have a floppy to install from, hence the whole work around to begin with.
Plus, I don't believe a USB floppy will help (and I don't want to buy one) since the computer can't boot from usb flash drives either.

And can't buy a new laptop because this is a customer's of mine's computer.

Thanks again for anyone's help. And feel free to let me know which parts I need to be more specific in explaining. (My first post, be gentle :-) )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

This has been giving me issues for SEVERAL weeks. I think I've tried everything so I need another brain.

From the beginning,

This pc has 2 SATA drives, suppose to be set in a raid configuration. (I've tried both raid and JSOB and both to no avail).
This also does not have the ACPI settings in bios.

Tried to reinstall Media Center Edition since that's what came on it but quickly found out the slot load cd drive will not read burned disks (which rules out the NLite slipstream option I later attempted).

Also, it appears the pc does not recognize any usbs either for 2 reasons I find:
One, a USB cd drive didn't boot either (not even with an OEM cd)
Two, as I later attempted, the F6 3rd party raid install(located on a flash drive) but my OEM XP Pro cd will not recognize me pressing F6 to perform the raid driver install. And, once it goes thru setup, I get some message stating mass controller driver error something, I can't remember, it just has a problem with usb sticks.

Hi,
The problem with the F6 is not a USB problem. The problem with that is in XP the F6 option only works from a Floppy disk in a floppy drive.

Did you hit F12 and select the USB CD Drive to boot from? It also has to be plugged into the USB Port and then the computer gets turned on.

Which also rules out the option of installing xp via usb.

So, in an experimental gesture, I faked out the computer by putting Win 7 on a sata hdd (configured as a usb install) and was able to successfully install the raid drivers via usb AND the operating system on the other hard drive BUT the problem is other drivers, Toshiba does not have driver support for Win 7 OR Vista.

Did you try this Toshiba link? Toshiba is one of the better companies at supplying Windows 7 Drivers for systems that did not come with WIn7.
What is the model part number of that Qosmio?

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-7-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Upgrading-from-Windows-XP-to-Windows-7/ta-p/302870

To properly upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7, follow the instructions contained in the link below.

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

I've got to get this thing to take a Win XP operating system.

I may have tried other options I just can't think of now but if anyone out there has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate 'em.
My last ditch effort was to do what I did with Win 7, to XP, but can't find any research on making a sata hard drive an actual bootable device to install xp from. (That may sound confusing, lol).
That second sata drive seems to be the ONLY thing this computer recognizes as a boot device.

I don't think that will work.

Oh, and I don't have a floppy to install from, hence the whole work around to begin with.
Plus, I don't believe a USB floppy will help (and I don't want to buy one) since the computer can't boot from usb flash drives either.

And can't buy a new laptop because this is a customer's of mine's computer.

Thanks again for anyone's help. And feel free to let me know which parts I need to be more specific in explaining. (My first post, be gentle :-) )

You don't boot off of the USB floppy you need it for XP to install the F6 drivers.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rowshell

rowshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

The model number is a G25-AV513.

F12 isn't available for boot options (unless there's a bios trick I'm unaware of), what you have to do for boot options is pressing the right/left arrows and it selects from icons on the post screen. So the only options/icons are HDD1 HDD2 CD NTWK FLPPY. And yes, usb cd drive plugged in before power on.

So I guess my next avenue is researching more on the installing raid drivers without a floppy and usb. Any suggestions on that?
In my research, I've run across people saying, "no floppy use usb. No usb, use floppy". What about when BOTH do not work?

So would you suggest just purchasing a usb floppy and be done with it?
Would you predict any additional problems based on my other problems if I were to get the floppy and past the initial issue of raid drivers?
Any ideas on the slot load cd not booting off burned dvd's?

And lastly, if all xp attempts fail, thank you for the Win 7 Driver link. I'll check it out.

Thanks so much. Been a great help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114234

Toshiba systems typically use restore/recovery disks...system is also MCE so installing anything but MCE (using the recovery disks) is apt to be a trial, since system is about 7 years old and drivers for such systems may not be readily available.

FWIW

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

OK, I took a quick look and that model is old enough no Vista or 7 drivers.

In this case I suggest sticking to XP.

Your Toshiba has some utilities ans special drivers you should install too.

Does the Slot Drive work at all?
Does it support DVD disks?
If it can read DVD disks try burning Your Nlite'd disk onto a DVD drive and see if that works.
Can you turn off the raid function and set the controller to IDE (ATA) mode. If so the XP setup should then recognize the hard drives.
Did you test the hard drives?

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 rowshell

rowshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Roger:

So the age means your link will not have the win 7 drivers if I'm only left with a win 7 install?

Yes, the slot load does work, but only with OEM disks (I've used OEM XP PRO and OEM Win 7) Just a note, used a burned Win 7 disk also but just like the burned XP, unable to boot to it. (Moves past the cd boot option to network, that's how I know it's not taking burned disks)

I did verify it will take a DVD. As far as identifying it is a DVDRW-CDRW.

Also, the XP OEM is a cd and the Win 7 OEM is a DVD.....although now that I think about it, I can't remember if the Win 7 DVD actually booted or if, like the XP, I got hung up on the Raid installs. I will re-check that.
If I do successfully boot off the Win 7 DVD, then yes, I'm still at the "slot load wont work on burned disks" but if it doesn't boot, it would indicate the dvd portion of the drive is not working, which would give me another path to explore. My XP Media Center is a burned DVD, which is the OS I want to use.

And what do you mean burn the Nlite'd disk ON a dvd drive? Do you mean on a DVD disk? (is that a typo) Cause yes, my Nlite'd disk WAS burned on CD, not a DVD. I will try that.

I have turned off raid to JSOD but there is not ide/sata controller option in bios. That was the first thing I looked for :-(

I have used another hard drive completely in my testing also. No change.

What would be your ideal situation/setup for this machine?
For instance, mine is this (and I might add, since all this trouble, I'm simply settling for anything I can get out of it, on an XP install)

RAID0 set for both drives.
Running XP Media Center Edition

I guess I'm asking, what is the easiest setup to chase or the easiest setup to create?
Any XP with JSOD? (not worrying about raid setups)

Louis,

Yeah recovery disks are something I looked into as well, also as a last ditch effort. I've tried to locate any free iso's but quickly realized there are none that are easy to find. And the disks cost something up in the $40 range. I'm not trying to spend that much on this dang thing, lol.
It shouldn't be this difficult to reload freakin windows.

I've never come across one this finicky.

Thanks Guys.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

That's what it means, The link for Windows 7 won't help.

Yes I meant burn the Nlite modified install to a DVD and try that.

It is possible that the drive is getting old and flaky.

Installing Windows 7 on old hardware can be a pain in the neck. Usually with wireless or Video drivers.

So option 1 order recovery disks.
Option 2 Buy a USB floppy drive and use XP and a F6 Floppy using driver from Toshiba, I saw that one there.
3 Use Windows 7 and dig up drivers. If you do that only use the hardware makers website. IE Realtek for Realtek and Intel for intel and so on.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 rowshell

rowshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Roger:

I'm going to redo the nlite disk with a DVD but going back thru the process, I'm wondering if perhaps I did the setup wrong, or missed something.

First, there are 2 different raid drivers I can download from toshiba. Does it matter which to use?
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1021511&rpn=PQG20U&modelFilter=G25-AV513&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=804517

Second, in one of the raid drivers downloaded, I have the option of 2 different folders to select in nlite. I used them both the first time I created the "cd".

Ok so in a nutshell
qg25raidx.exe downloaded driver is ONE zipped driver setup. (really no room for error here in Nlite as it is the only folder to select)
raid138.zip (the other raid driver to download) is 2 folders when unzipped, and I cannot identify the difference in the 2 so I used both on the cd. Maybe here was where I made a mistake making the nlite disk.

Here's the guide I've been using for the Nlite, this is the first few times I have ever used Nlite so the margin for error is large I'm afraid :-(
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-integrate-floppy-sata-raid-driver-into-windows-xp-cd/

Any thoughts on which driver I should be using?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Normally the small Raid driver is the one for the Floppy and the large one is what you would install form within Windows. What one you would use with Nlite, I do not know. However I would expect that the F6 from a floppy drive should still work wit it too.

I always just use a standard Windows disk and avoid problems. I have a USB floppy drive for when I need it.

Are you sure you can not just turn off raid and have two drives?

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 rowshell

rowshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Got the DVD made, and will start the install process tomorrow to see if it's successful.

If this doesn't work, I'm just going to look for the recovery cd. And may go ahead and get a floppy drive anyways (we're a repair shop so I'm sure we'll need it again at some point.)

Yeah, I'm sure about the turning off raid. I've set it up in bios as JBOD (I said the acronym wrong before) both drives set up as that. Once it attempts to load the partition table, it says setup does not recognize any hard drives.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

I'll update here once I, if I ever, get xp on it just in case anyone needs the info.
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users