Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost folder in outlook 2007 contacts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

It's probably my fault since most things are. Yesterday I had trouble sending email. I looked in the add-ins and saw the COM addin for Microsoft Hotmail connector. Well, I couldn't find where to delete it and so I went to c:\Progra~2\common~1\system\msmapi\msncon32.dll and deleted that. I did a bad thing, didn't I? This morning my Personal Folder in Outlook Contacts, is gone.

How can I get it back?

I did a system restore but the Personal Folder in Contacts Outlook 2007 is not there. The add-in is.

Edited by rikkidegraz, 02 October 2012 - 08:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'd try Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva .

I used it a day ago when I inadvertently hit the Delete button, rather than Rename on a file I wanted (I delete without using the Recycle Bin) and it worked perfectly, restored the file to original location.

Louis

#3 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm a little (a lot) overwhelmed. Where would I find folders, specifically the Outlook 07 the Personal folder in the Contacts folder?
I'll keep looking but so far nothing.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Recuva won't help. You didn't delete an actual folder.

I'm really not sure what you did (and certainly not WHY you did it). When you open Outlook does it show your email accounts? is it ONLY the contacts that are missing?

Edited by Allan, 02 October 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#5 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

I have no idea how that happened. Honestly, not a clue. However, I was able to recover them because I had the .pst backed up on my external hard drive. I should have done that first. Thank God for good backup habits. This gave me a real scare because it just went poof and was gone - completely.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Right - that's where I was going. You said you were missing your contacts, but if the .pst file was corrupt or missing you wouldn't have your email accounts either. Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. Now - if you want to get rid of the Hotmail plug in just uncheck it in the add-in's. And you can uninstall the Outlook Hotmail Connector in Programs & Features - just like any other program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users