Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 no longer boots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rjt2

rjt2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

I have an Acer Aspire Revo 3700 running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. A few days back everything suddenly froze up and on restarting I find that everything hangs indefinitely on the 'Starting Windows' screen (early on, almost as soon as the 'windows' graphics first appear). I cannot get the thing to boot in safe, repair, debug......any mode.

I have tried changing just about every bios setting available to no avail.

I have tried making bootable USB keys of various linuxes (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE) and find that they also freeze during the boot process. Finally I found that Knoppix will boot if I pass it the "noapic" option before booting ("nolapic" also works, though then it only sees one processor).

I suppose I suspect some kind of hardware problem other than the hard drive (since things also get stuck when booting from USB and disabling the controller in the BIOS makes no difference). The question is what can I do to further diagnose things? Is there an equivalent to "noapic" that I could use to try and get windows starting?

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2012 - 10:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi rjt2,

I would try with a Hiren boot CD. You would then have things like Memtest86+ to test your memory and Mini XP environment to work in. I don't remember all the tools but I use it when I'm having troubles with boot issues. Use the tools with caution because some of them can erase/format your hard drive.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

<<I would try with a Hiren boot CD.>>

Please...read Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

The prohibition on recommending such discs or files here at BC...remains in effect.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users