Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Problem (I think)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 10 Beers

10 Beers

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

This isn't a major Problem, just an annoyance I can't rectify. I can usually sort out the big stuff but the little stuff gets me.
I installed VMWare as a try-out then uninstalled it because it didn't fit my expectations. I have a very old Command Prompt DOS game I can still play with no problems until I uninstalled VMWare using Revo Uninstaller. When I want to play I get a window that says "Command Prompt - COLORS (next line) SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. Virtual Device Driver Format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'CLOSE' to terminate the application." There's an 'IGNORE' button I hit so I can play my game. In my ToolBar there's "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" notification with this.
I searched my registry for VirtualDeviceDrivers and it isn't in HKEY_CLASSE_ROOT\System\CurrentControlSet\Control where you'd think it would be. So I went into windows looking for leftover drives from VMWare. I found three in SYSTEM32\Drivers that I deleted then rebooted. No good - I still get the window. I then poke around in the registry for anything else that looked like VirtualDeviceDrivers. Nothing found. I ran SpyBot, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, MalWareBytes and found a few tracking cookies but nothing else. Rebooted again and it's still there.
Any ideas? Should re-reinstall VMW and re-uninstall it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314452 .

Louis

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

By your description & Louis' idea, I suspect both of you are advanced than me on computers but if you still run into a standstill, I would try System Restore.
--- I have helped some of my friends who installed wahtever prigram but then tried uninstalling without much success

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

:thumbup2: , great suggestion.

I often omit SR as an alternative because I don't use it, preferring to do periodic backups of the O/S.

Louis

#5 10 Beers

10 Beers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Merci boucoup, gracias and thanks, Louis, but I can't find VirtualDeviceDrivers ANYWHERE in the registry.
I guess I'll reinstall the O/S to get this taken care of. Dagnabit, I just got it where I like it and I like where I've got it. Oh well...

I'm not a fan of Restore Points, either.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

There are those here that don't like system restore for various reasons. The size of the file can grow to a huge size, and then there are those times that you really could use it and it doesn't work. But there are times which it is appropriate, and when it works can save you a lot of headaches. This is one of those times that I would also suggest using it.

Something else which should be taken into consideration is the fact that if you make a mistake in editing the registry you can turn your computer into a door stop. If you aren't familiar with editing the registry I would suggest backing it up first with a program like Erunt.

[*]For version with the Installer:
Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
[*]For the zipped version:
Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
[/list]Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

system restore save me a reinstall of XP that I didn't want to have to do ,just yesterday ,customers computer I . removed some malware/ and a worm with a suggest program and it may have caused a reboot loop at the login password .

used MSDART to do the restore and it worked .so yes I like system restore

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

You certainly can "reinstall the O/S to get this taken care of" if that's what you wish to do; however, unless there's more to the story the way I understand it, a system restore makes sense in this case as it takes takes only a couple of minutes to do and then find out if it works out.
--- If you try the system restore and it saves the "I just got it where I like it and I like where I've got it" items? why won't your computer be back to normal?
--- If it doesn't then do the OS reinstall
--- Either way, followup with the idea of "periodic backups of the O/S"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users