Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Varmint

Varmint

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

I'm thinking that this is ultimately a result of some virus. I was having difficulty running combofix, could not delete it or re-download to another directly. I have had issues in the past with a virus that disabled combofix (cuz they knew it killed their virus) so maybe something was there . I was turned on to Rkill to help with those issues and use it every now and then I thought I had just run it before I used Rouge killer but maybe not..

I am using Windows Professional , w/SP2 and that's it. So after running Rouge killer i fixed several things but then got a warning message about the MBR needing attention as well. After allowing Rouge killer to correct it and rebooting... nothing. My machine did not even make it though post, just black screen. I pulled the drive and connected it to a usb adapter that can fire up any drive and connect it via usb. The drive had 2 partitions c/d now it had only d.

I contacted Tizgy Rouge Killer author and he suggested Ease recover tool and testDisk both of which seem to have brought the drive back to some life as it's partially back. I at least get through post but at that point I get a disk read error.

I'm wondering if windows repair console would be able to finish the job. All the data is on the drive and I can copy it to another disk with Ease 's data recover tool, but I am hoping to be able to not have to reload everything. so that is where I am at this point.

Or maybe combofix from the laptop connected by USB to the drive? Or maybe some of the other programs I've looked at in the last few days on this site. I am trying to be calm about it and not change things on the drive for fear of loosing my data.

I did notice when i put in the windows cd that it seemed to be operating just as it would if I added a drive but it did recognize the partitions and all. But I did not see the recovery console, how do I get there?

So that's my problem, my HD is on vacation for a while. I'm still in contact with tigzy, the time zone difference really slows things down so I thought I'd post here and see if maybe some you really smart guys have some experience with stuff like this. I have just enough knowledge to get myself into trouble. LOL

thanks V

ps I want to make it clear that I don't think rouge Killer is the issue with my machine, it just helped it to come to life. I get my router to email me logs when they are full. Usually that is every month or two. Over the last month I have been getting router logs ever frequently and in last few weeks sometimes several a day. I checked the IPs and they are coming from all over the world so I knew something was up with my system as it was eating up my bandwidth. i have just decided to clean it up. I used superspyware and malwarebytes and just came across rouge killer and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2012 - 10:19 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hi Varmint :)

Can you tell me your current situation regarding this computer?
Are you still in contact with Tigzy?
Anything changes I should be aware of from the time you created this topic?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 October 2012 - 01:16 AM.
Moved to log forum. ~ OB

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Note:no log post in MRL...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic472545.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Varmint

Varmint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

the current situation is the what it's been from the start as stated in the description. i have not done anything just looked around some and ran the testdisk program. But I'm am not sure what the steps are to be taken with it so I have not done anything.

The YouTube I saw re testdisk seemed straight forward and not a big deal (for someone who knows the steps) but i don't feel comfortable with the program as yet so I have been looking for a little assistance. That has not been forthcoming for whatever reason . So I have tried to learn a bit more about the program on my own. I was just going to go out and review those youtube videos again, see what I can learn. It seems there are a few.

I have not herd from him in days, so the answer is no.

thanks

Edited by Varmint, 07 November 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#5 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Varmint, do you still need assistance?

You posted that you were no longer having issues here on October 29th.

Are these two separate computers or do you have problems again with the computer mentioned in the link above?

Try to follow this guide if you are still able to boot normally: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

#6 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic will be closed.

If you need the topic re-opened, private message me or any moderator to re-open the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users