Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox memory usage high

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anjulZ

anjulZ

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

I go to Facebook, & yahoo to check my mail, maybe to Delphi Forums to check a msg there. Firefox is using an excessive amount of memory according to AVG & it asks me to restart the browser all the time after only like 15mins...I checked w/Mozilla, disabled the plugins & add ons like they suggested & NO changes, still same warning, same amount of time.
Ive pulled up taskmngr, & yes it uses like over 120,000 just on the start page, theirs.
So, I tried using Chrome with taskmngr up & it starts like 3 different instances of chrome.exe, so it pretty much is using the same amount of memory also.
I run CCleaner after the warnings usually thinking it will help, clean the cache, dump the temp files, & it does help it go faster for a min, then the warning comes up in a bit.
I do NOT car for IE. I do not feel it is safe, my opinion.
AVG scans every morning after I leave for wrk. I updated my graphics driver...
Im at a loss, this is irratating. 768mb aint that bad amount of memory...is this normal?
Do I have other options as far as browsers? I have never used Opera & not heard nice things about Netscape...so idk
Help
"Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of Bethlehem a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord."
Let us all remember the reason for this season!
May God bless You at least half as much as He has me!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

AVG scans every morning after I leave for wrk. I updated my graphics driver...
Im at a loss, this is irratating. 768mb aint that bad amount of memory...is this normal?
Do I have other options as far as browsers? I have never used Opera & not heard nice things about Netscape...so idk
Help

Yes, you do have other browser options. Some which may put less stress on memory resources are Pale Moon, and Comodo Dragon. Pale Moon is like Firefox, in fact based on it. Comodo Dragon is based on Chrome.

http://www.palemoon.org/

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php?track=3294&key5sk1=8b3a4b2390beff72fd911e765cc2e9472a64e88e&key5sk2=2128&key5sk3=1349146397000&key5sk4=3294&key5sk5=1349146420000&key6sk1=&key6sk2=CH220122991&key6sk3=7&key6sk4=en-us&key6sk5=US&key6sk6=0&key6sk7=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comodo.com%2F&key6sk9=19201080&key6sk10=true&key6sk11=ef926a1d39f6c390fc4aa89c316d4ac6979fca22&key6sk12=2034&key7sk1=2&key1sk1=dt&key1sk2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comodo.com%2F

#3 Lobsterman72

Lobsterman72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

I have somewhat the same problem with FF, I have a 3 gighz older machine with 3 gigs of ram and I only play one FB game, that, doesn't always load properly but when it does work and I play for quite a while the game starts to crap out. I then have to ctrl/alt/del to get the window to close. And I notice the the 'plugin container' is up to 12 gigs in memory usage sometimes. Assuming using the HD for additional memory... But I wonder what else is going on with all this memory usage.. The only suggestion I could tell you, without any additional information, is to check your HD space.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

If you use AVG free, uninstall and replace it with another free, better antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast.

Tekken

#5 EscEscEsc

EscEscEsc

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Same here, avg reports it and firefox is using too much memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users