Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive preventing bootup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

I have a windows XP computer. It is an AcerPower S220
Bios is Phoenix -AwardBIOS version R01-B0
SMBIOS version 2.3
Motherboard ID is E45M

I have 2 Hardrives both of them are 80 GB Barracuda 7200.7

A few days ago an employee was unable to to bootup their computer and would get the error "verifying dmi pool data" and would sometimes get update success or not and would display Boot from CD: and give a boot disk failure. I was asked to look into it so I looked into the BIOS setting and it could not detect the hard drive even if I asked it to find it. IDE Primary Master was listed as none and so where the others.

I swapped out the drive with an exact same one and it was able to boot up and detect the drive in BIOS and bootup normally. Well there was another problem with unable to detect the local network but that is probably a separate issue.

Anyway the drive contains some data that is needed so I decided to turn it into a slave drive so I took out the pin to the old one and made the new hard drive the master.

When I tried to bootup it would create the same problem. No hard drive was detected and I would get the "verifying dmi pool data error". Neither drive could be found. No matter which drive was set as slave or master and no matter which way the ATA cable was connected. It would not detect the hard drives. Only if the good drive was put in would it detect it and boot up normally. I tried resetting to factory defaults but it gave the same results.

I also tried a different computer and the bad drive gave the same results.

How can I access the data on the bad drive? Thanks for any help.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 01 October 2012 - 06:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

For data rescue, use a *nix (I use Ubuntu) boot CD and run the OS off of the optical drive. Attach an external hard drive/flash drive, and retrieve the data that you need.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Do you have a link to one?

Can I not turn the bad drive into an external drive and hook it up using a USB port?

Is there something else I can do if the drive can not be read? The drive seems to make sounds I do not recognize.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have seen hard drives fail in such a manner that they kill detection or booting when hooked up.

You might have better success posting in the appropriate Windows forum.

For XP

Windows XP Home and Professional
Use this forum to discuss, ask questions, and give answers for the Windows XP Home and Professional operating systems.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

You might have better success posting in the appropriate Windows forum.

Good Luck
Roger

I don't think the OP is having a Windows-specific problem. Sounds more like imminent mechanical failure.

Do you have a link to one?

Can I not turn the bad drive into an external drive and hook it up using a USB port?

Is there something else I can do if the drive can not be read? The drive seems to make sounds I do not recognize.

Ubuntu Download

I recommend this one most frequently because of the ease of transition when considering lifetime Windows users. Download, write the image to a CD, and select CD/DVD drive in the boot menu on startup.

You could hook up an adapter and use the drive externally, but I wouldn't advise this if you are trying to get your data off. The reason being that the data pathway would be drive-adapter-USB-computer-USB-adapter-drive. This slows things down a lot, and from what you have told us regarding the unusual sounds, I suspect that drive is bordering on imminent mechanical failure.

If you use the Ubuntu Live CD and cannot access or read the contents of the hard drive, there isn't much else to be done. Short of paying thousands of $$$ to have a professional clean room rescue the data, the drive is effectively shot.

Edited by MDTechService, 04 October 2012 - 04:04 PM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

I suggested the appropriate Windows forum since that is where the members that are skilled in data recovery can usually be found. I'm sure it is a bad drive. I've seen this behavior before.

I suspect it has gone beyond imminent mechanical failure.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users