Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to Upgrade MoBo but Not CPU?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi,

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80557E6750 on an ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard.

The CPU works good (the feedback on the Newegg site is all extreme positive) but I am l still looking forward to upgrade some day to a Intel Quad Core.

In the mean time my current MoBo is limiting what I can put into my PC. I have a 2TB (6GB) hard drive using a 6GB adapter card which is installed in the only PCIEX1_1 slot (the short PCIEX slot) on the MoBo.

I recently removed a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner w/ IR Remote PCI-E x 1 from the PCIEX1_1 slot to try the 6GB adapter for the 2TB hard drive.

So, what I'm looking for is a MoBo that not only has more than one PCIEX1_1 slot but can handle both the Duo Core I'm using and an i7 Intel Quad Core for my future upgrade.

Does such a MoBo exist?

Any suggestions on how to make this work will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Check out microcenter, tigerdirect, fry's, directron.com, amazon or ebay cos it looks like Newegg doesn't carry any

#3 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Unfortunately the i7 is not offered for socket 775. Ultimately you'll have to get an i7 compatible motherboard if you want to go that route.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Are you using the two PCIexpress 16X slots on that motherboard? I used one of my 16x slots to add a USB3 card. TO put it another way you should be able to use a 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x PCIexpress slot for a 1x card.

If you aren't using SLI or Crossfire that may save you from having to buy a new motherboard while this one is working.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Are you using the two PCIexpress 16X slots on that motherboard? I used one of my 16x slots to add a USB3 card. TO put it another way you should be able to use a 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x PCIexpress slot for a 1x card.

If you aren't using SLI or Crossfire that may save you from having to buy a new motherboard while this one is working.

Good Luck
Roger

Oh snap, I missed it, you are right Roger. OP just use the extra pcie x16 like he said

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

JSK was correct. The i7 processors use socket 1155. Your options with this board are pretty much limited to upgrading to a core 2 quad.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

I solved this by using the RAID SATA terminal near the video card slot at the back of the MoBo.

I now have my three HDs installed and I'm able to keep the Hauppauge card too.

I just won't have the 6GB option the HD offers for now.
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Glad to hear about your success.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users