Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built in graphics card vs.stand alone card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozzie85

ozzie85

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am looking for a new laptop and i've been noticing that alot of laptops have a built in graphics card, why is this? And do they work just as well as a nvidia? Or any stand alone card?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hello
It sounds as if you might be shocked at how many desktop computers are built with built-in Video.
Laptops are built with built-in video for cost and weight savings. I do not know of any laptop that can take a desktop video card for example. They may have special proprietary video card connectors that limit you to what they sell. Since laptops by their nature have compromised cooling systems their mobile CPU and GPU chips will not perform with the best Desktop systems and they tend to run hot when gaming too.

Toshiba made some Qosmio models that had Dual Nvidia in SLI but they still didn't have the graphics power of desktop cards.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ozzie85

ozzie85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

What i meant was why do some laptops have an hd built in graphics card and some other laptops have for ex a nvidia geforce 660 gtx. When i was looking at an asus '14inch,3540 processor,8gb,700 hard drive w.built in hd 4000 graphics card as opposed to a nvidia (insert type here)graphics card. Why doesnt that laptop have a nvidia card.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I am guessing here that there are several reasons.

1. The Nvidia would raise the cost of the laptop.
2. The target buyer for the laptop does not need the Nvidia video.
3. the Intel HD 4000 is good enough for the buyers they want to sell that one to. It has to be designed in. You can't add it later.
4. some buyer may prefer ATI (AMD) Video.

My guess is that only a small percentage of laptop buyers want to pay for fancy Nvidia video.
Also the laptop Nvidia will be slower than the same desktop Nvidia video.

Hope this explains it
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users