Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto update hosts file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rotade

rotade

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Guys

I need a quick, cheap solution for a relative's computer that keeps getting infected by the kids. I got microsoft security essentials but they can't stay off bad sites.

So far, the hosts file that's got a few thousand entries pointing back to 127.0.0.1 is working but I need a way to auto-update this hosts file. Any open-source software that would do that for me?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Why not just clean up the hosts file and then make it read-only?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Any open-source software that would do that for me?

Hi - What I use -
The best one I can link you to is MVPS HOSTS - Read the links and find about updates etc.[Updated August-18-2012]
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File Get notified of MVPS HOSTS updates

Please read the page first as you have not listed your Operating System ............

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users