Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandisk card reader won't work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Karl389

Karl389

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

I've got a Dell computer with Windows XP Professional SP3.

I got a Sandisk All in one card reader that my computer can't "see".
If I plug it into another computer here at work, it can "see" the card reader.

When I plug the card reader into my computer, it dings at me telling me a USB device has been plugged in, but it doesn't give me the found new device icon. It doesn't show up under My Computer as a new storage device(or drive). It should add four (4) new drives. When i look at device manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, it only shows a USB Mass Storage Device. If you click on "Properties", it will tell me that the device is working properly. If I click on "Safely Remove Hardware", it shows up as an USB Mass Storage Device.
If I click on it, it will then tell me it is safe to remove the device.

When I'm on another computer, everything is different.

When I first plug the device in, plug & play picks it up and installs it.
If you look under device manager, it lists the device as a Sandisk all in one card reader and four new drive letters.
Same for safely remove device, it will say Sandisk all in one card reader.

What I don't understand, is why it is visible to one computer and not another?
I have a GPS unit and the data from my GPS unit is stored on a Compact Flash (CF) card.
When I get done, I need to download that data and import it into my GIS software.
I used to have an old version of a Sandisk card reader that used to work. I had to let someone else use that card reader and I got a brand new reader. This reader says "Imagemate" and I wonder if the format of my CF card is wrong for this reader? I don't know.

Sorry this post is so long. I've been to the Sandisk site and they have no clue. I keep getting a canned response from them.

Anybody have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Check your Plug and Play startup services if its running or default type : Automatic. Hit Start - Run - type services.msc, Enter. See this link also and try removing any unknown or previous generic card reader drivers that might block your current sandisk reader. http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2011/06/you-had-me-at-devmgrshownonpresentdevic.html

Tekken

#3 Karl389

Karl389
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

OMG! I just figured it out!

Sandisk installed some software to run the card reader.
I went into Control Panel>Add/Removed Software and found the offedning item.
I deleted the software and shut my computer down.
I unplugged the card reader while the computer was off.

I re-started the computer and then plugged the card reader in.
Plug - n - play picked it up and installed the software again.

Now the card reader works.

Just goes to show you how simple a fix can be.

Thanks for your assistance.

Karl Ziemer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users