Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISP Modem with Wifi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 7SLEVIN

7SLEVIN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hello!

I've just moved, signed with an ISP and gotten my modem. Turned out though, that the modem has an integrated wireless AP (NETGEAR CG 3200) - something I wasn't expecting. That is because I like my router (TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND), which has DD-WRT, and not that crap my ISP has got installed on theirs. The reason why I just don't use my own, is that it doesn't have a SMA antenna cable port/connector.

Now my question(s) is:

1. Is it a way for me to ditch the NETGEAR with a off-the-shelf modem of some kind? Or has my ISP programmed the NETGEAR in some way that forces me to use it? Not 100% sure of the modems functions, so please, enlighten me :)

2. I could series-connect my router (TP-LINK) to the NETGEAR, to use it as a kind of repeater, but how would this affect the speed? I would then disable the NETGEARs Wireless Router Radio which turnes for the wireless part, so speak. Right?

Thanks for the hjelp!

Slevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

You could just have your ISP bridge it and shut the wireless off. This would essentially turn it to a modem only and would be what your expecting. eh.. well you would still have the antenna though.

#3 7SLEVIN

7SLEVIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

Thanks! I think that's what I'll try this evening.

And I would disable the wireless by disabling the Wireless Router Radio, yes?

#4 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

That would be correct if you isp lets you in their equipment. Some isp's wont let you in there. As long as you tell them to disable it the should turn off the wireless when they bridge it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users