Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hi all,
I'm Looking to upgrade current SSD(OCZ vertex 3 60Gb)
Budget is $120 max for 120gb class and $200 max for 240gb class

Some of the options I'm looking at are

OCZ vertex 4 128gb, vertex 3 128, sandisk extreme 120gb, samsung 830 128gb

OCZ revo x3 240gb pcie(overkill?) Corsair GS 240gb, sandisk extreme 240gb, Samsung 830 256gb,vertex 4 256, vertex 3 256

and the Samsung 840 and 840 pro 128 and 256 will also be considered depending on price and availability

I understand 4k write speeds are the most important when selecting an ssd, but each site (as usual) seems to have different data so the truth gets lost in there some where.

I will not be storing any music or movies on the drive just programs and games. I did observe my queue depth using system resource and it never even registered 1, so I'll assume for my use I never even hit QD4

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

In my opinion of the drives you listed the Samsung is much preferred. Read User reviews. Next would be Intel, More expensive however.

It is my opinion that in general Read speed is more important.

You said

I will not be storing any music or movies on the drive just programs and games.

To me this indicates that once something is loaded on the drive as a one time thing the rest of the usage will be reading it from the drive.

Read speed will affect boot times, Malware scans, and program load times.
Write speed will only affect installing Windows and loading programs and Windows updates onto the drive, A much less common scenario than loading them from the drive.

I bought my first SSD, A Intel when the Series 320 went from a 3 year warranty to a 5 year warranty. Once I used one I converted everything to SSD boot drives. Intel and Samsung drives since I value reliability more than getting that last bit of speed.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 October 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 diggi

diggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

In my opinion of the drives you listed the Samsung is much preferred. Read User reviews. Next would be Intel, More expensive however.

It is my opinion that in general Read speed is more important.

You said

I will not be storing any music or movies on the drive just programs and games.

To me this indicates that once something is loaded on the drive as a one time thing the rest of the usage will be reading it from the drive.

Read speed will affect boot times, Malware scans, and program load times.
Write speed will only affect installing Windows and loading programs and Windows updates onto the drive, A much less common scenario than loading them from the drive.

I bought my first SSD, A Intel when the Series 320 went from a 3 year warranty to a 5 year warranty. Once I used one I converted everything to SSD boot drives. Intel and Samsung drives since I value reliability more than getting that last bit of speed.

Good Luck
Roger

Roger, write speeds are more important, as per all the reviews I've read. It seems 4k writes between qd1 and qd4 are actually what is happening during startup and opening programs etc. So that is the most important statistic to look at.
The samsung are looking good though, I must say, thanks for feedback

#4 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have the OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and it has been good so far. It's my first SSD so I have nothing to compare it to though. The online reviews have been mixed.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Well for what it's worth. Don't get bogged down on benchmarks as the only criteria.

When I was looking at getting the first SSD the OCZ had better benchmarks, but terrible user reviews. SO I went Intel and Samsung as the consensus I found on the Internet was that they were the most reliable.

For instance this review http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-520-sandforce-review-benchmark,3124.html

That takes us to Intel. Intel and Samsung have two of the best track records that we've seen, at least in our lab and in conversations with readers, when it comes to reliability. Samsung has its own modern 6 Gb/s controller hardware, which lets it compete at the top of our charts against the very best from SandForce and Marvell. Intel, however, does not.
It's significant, then, that Intel's new SSD 520 is the latest offering to center on the same SandForce technology we've been writing about for...wow, has it already been one year since OCZ introduced its Vertex 3 Pro?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'm with Roger for this, Intel and Samsung SSDs are really the most reliable. I own a Intel 520 Series 120GB and that has beautifully ran without a hiccup.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

In the 120GB category...Intel 520 series. If you do some price hunting, you might find one under $120, but it's worth the extra $10.

In the 240GB category...Samsung 830 series 256B/WW

Intel and Samsung are both 2 thumbs up in reliability. I'm not going to say that other drives don't outperform Samsung or Intel, but it is a bit useless if you can't depend on the drive.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#8 diggi

diggi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

Good feedback all, keep it coming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users