Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista stuck at welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joobs

Joobs

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

I realize this is probably a very common problem. I also have already looked over a couple similar threads here just to see if there was an easy fix, but it seems like it's complicated and different for everybody.

I'm using a Dell Studio 1537 laptop. I have Windows Vista Service Pack 2. A few days ago my friend turned on my computer, and apparently that was the first time - I don't have multiple usernames or a password for this computer, so it went directly to the "Welcome" screen, but wouldn't do anything after that, it would just load forever. he said he tried four times, I'm guessing he forced it off. Anyway, after it had been sitting for a while, I had come home and tried it myself with no problems. The next day, however, I tried turning it on, and it did it to me several times before I got it to work. I took the battery out and let it sit, didn't work. I tried to ctrl+alt+delete to get the Task Manager up so I could run explorer.exe, it won't do that either. Finally I ran it in safe mode and went online to try to find a problem, but couldn't, so I just tried again, and it worked. No idea why. So I uninstalled a few programs, tried to update windows, installed a Java update, thinking maybe something there was the problem, but the next time I turned it off (last night) I had the same problem. I went into safe mode and have tried restoring it to a previous state that it worked, but the only one on the list that seems to work is when I successfully booted it up in between the problems. Not only that, but the oldest repair date on the list was (I think) BEFORE the problem initially started, and even doing it that far back caused the same problem.

The changes made on the OS that marked the different start-up repair started with an update to AVG 2013, then a DirextX update, and then a few uninstalls (none of which apparently seemed to fix the problem).

I don't know how to find the problem or fix it...

Edited by Joobs, 01 October 2012 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

There are a couple of things that could be causing this. One is a problem with the hdd, another are corrupted files.

To check the hdd you will need to know who the manufacturer is. You can find this by using a program called SIW, (System Information for Windows), you can download it here. This information will be found under Hardware as Storage Devices. Once you know who the manufacturer is you can go to their website and download a diagnostic test to ascertain the state of your hdd.

You can also run chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f, for instructions you can read them here. This will take time, so please be patient and wait till it finishes.

You can run sfc (System File Checker), this will find and usually repair damaged Microsoft files. For instructions go here.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dc3, 01 October 2012 - 01:00 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users