Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access without Password

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gasmith2

gasmith2

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I want to remote access my parents computer so I can exchange files and troubleshoot it when something goes wrong. I would like to do this without having to have them set up a password. What are the best remote access programs and is this possible to do on those?

My Computer: Windows 7 Home Premium
Parents Computer: Windows 7 Home Premium

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Have you considered using Remote Desktop Access? You can read about it here.

There is software out there that are free and will allow remote access. I did a quick Google and found this software.

Edited by dc3, 01 October 2012 - 10:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hey,

Your first link takes me to crucial memory and I'll give Teamviewer a try. Thank you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Sorry about that, multitasking can lead to such errors. Posted Image

I added the proper link, so you should be able to use it to view what I had intended.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Team Viewer is a good choice. Always seems to work great for me.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,723 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

You may want to have some sort of application that at least needs authentication by your parents. Leaving a back door open while you're not actively engaged in assistance leaves your parents vulnerable to others looking for open 'doors'. Your mention of not needing a password sent all sorts of red flags up for me. They should be advised to be wary of any remote activity unless expressly performed by you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

You should definitely have a password on it. Most programs that have this capability will allow you to set the password once and not need to deal with it again. Leaving it open (because such programs open ports and whatnot) leads your computer open to the internet for those who know where to look. Such a thing is not a good idea.

#8 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

I don't mind having a password to access remotely, I just don't want them to have to put a password onto their OS. Thank you all for the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users