Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet to Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MUNCH21043

MUNCH21043

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

I don't know if I have a trojan or malware, etc. My internet connection was working fine until I rebooted my computer. I install windows updates regularly and an occasional software program from the internet and don't know if that had anything to do with it.

When I logged back in after reboot, I updated my AVG free software and I was asked to update or add Adobe Air software. At some point while doing this my AVG finished updating but Adobe Air just seemed to disappear. I don't know if I lost internet connection before Adobe Air was installed or if Adobe Air was the in for malware.

My Ethernet Adapter (driver device manager) says it is enabled and working, my router ports are working, and the ethernet cable connecting the two is working. However, it appears my computer and my router are not recognizing that the ethernet cable is plugged in.

I tried the power reboot and that doesn't correct anything. I posted this in the malware forum, but I was directed to post it here. I thought a virus or something may have done something to my internet connection to disable it. I am including all the reports I generated for the malware forum. I am not seeing where I can attach my ark.txt and attach.txt files. If it would be helpful I could cut and past into a followup reply.

Regards,
Any more suggestions would be appreciated

Removed DDS Log
Prvious topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic470012.html
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 October 2012 - 11:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

What kind of router are you using?

#3 MUNCH21043

MUNCH21043
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

its an Actiontec router with 4 ethernet ports. It is a router/modem. I don't know if the problem may be originating from my computer.

Since my internet connection has been non-functional the ethernet port will not light up green, but when I plug in other hardware (for example, a network printer), the port lights up green and is functional. So it doesn't seem to be the router at first glance to me.

However, I am at a complete loss, because when I look at my computer ethernet adapter's hardware status, it says it is working properly. The computer keeps reporting that the ethernet adapter is enabled but that a cable is not plugged in. I have tried 3 different ethernet cables between the adapter port and the router port and I get the same result.

I tried the power reboot and it didn't work. I doubt the physical connection is a problem.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Matt

#4 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

So to recap:

You plug your computer into the router and:
The port light doesn't come on,
You have tried several different cables with no luck
You have plugged in a printer to the router which works fine.

Based on that (even though its rare) it sounds like the Ethernet port on your computer has died.

You can get a Ethernet add-on card from stores like Best Buy that connects to you PCI or PCI express expansion slot (Im assuming its a desktop but they do make adapters for laptops too (ex: Ethernet to usb, slide in cards).

Hope this helps!

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Any clues in the windows EVENT LOG under Applications and under System regarding ethernet attempts?
Any yellow triangle question marks in the devices list under Network devices?

#6 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Any chance you could provide a screen shot of the event your seeing in the event log?

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

Try safemode with networking, any difference?

Tekken

#8 MUNCH21043

MUNCH21043
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

I tried Safe Mode with Networking and no success. The event that is reported is I need to plug in a cable. By all troubleshooting the ethernet port adapter is working --- at least the driver indicates it is working (enabled and working properly). The modem/router has no problem recognizing other hardware when i plug an ethernet cable into it.

Can the actual physical connection involving the ethernet port be damaged? even though the ehternet adapter in the hardware/ driver list reports it is functioning properly???

I will try and upload my windows event log of System Applications shortly.

Regards,
Matt

BTW I have a PCI ethernet adapeter port on order and will see if installing a new physcial port does the trick.

#9 MUNCH21043

MUNCH21043
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Here are some of the Event Logs from my dual boot system. If I recall correctly my internet connection stopped working while I was in my Windows XP system. See Note below:

Some Background on my ongoing problem

I have a dual boot system. Windows XP and Win7. I get the same message with both systems. Please plug in ethernet cable.
I thought I had a bogus AVG application because the internet connection stopped working right after a definition update. I ran a whole computer scan with AVG shortly after this and I was said to have my backup files infected with trojans. I had the "infected files" deleted or quarantined.

It looks like the logs are in evt and evtx format. I have to figure out how to convert or attach files. Will get back to you. In the XP event log on 09 24 2012 I did see where the Internet V4 and V6 were involved but don't know the relevancy.

Further updates pending.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Uninstall your antivirus and try connecting again since you mentioned a recent update may have caused the problem. You can reinstall the network card driver by their support site also if removing antivirus suggestion did not work. Try checking other computers on the router's port and cable you are using if they are not faulty or broken.

Tekken

#11 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

Hello Munch21043,

Are you by any chance using McAfee on this machine? Or have you in the past?

Have you checked that IPv4 settings are set to auto detect IP an DNS?

Maybe try a loopback cable or adapter? If you have spare cable around you can make one rather than buying one. http://www.ortizonline.com/publications/april2004/loopback.htm

Did you happen to notice if there was a storm or any surge of electricity that could account fora bad NIC? If so do you have a pci NIC or a USB to RJ45 adapter?

Last question. Is this on board or is it a daughter card? If it is on board i believe it is operated by the south bridge of the MOBO. Could be a bad MOBO in that case. Check for blown capacitors.

Scott M.

Edited by 589661, 08 October 2012 - 01:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users