Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD PLAYER

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

HI,I have a problem with my DVD player in my PC.
When i try to play a DVD this what i get on screen that says the following.
Windows can not play DVD no compatible encoder is installed.
The easy way out is just replace DVD player,but i would like to know how fix this
problem now if possible so that in the future if i have this come up again i can
fix it,checked GOOGLE,but did not get a good idea on how to fix it any thoughts
would be appreciated,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

Well i was rooting around on the internet like a pig looking for truffles and the DELL
web site that had a diagnostic program and it went completely thru my PC and came up with
a failed spindle on my DVD player,so now i will have break down and buy new player.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

HI,I am looking for a cheap but good player for my DELL E521 ITSabout 5yrs. old so i do not
think i need to spend too much on a CD/DVD recorder just something that is functional,thanks

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

From the E521 spec it looks like the drive will be SATA (check to be sure). They are $20-30 these days so you can't spend too much.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

DVD burners are fairly cheap.
2 good online resources to check out would be TigerDirect, or NewEgg.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

HI,I got my new DVD player today installed it tried to use it.
I get the message that i need a codec that is compatible to my player.
I reinstalled updated WMP 11 and as usual with M/S it will not play a disk i have called DOO-WOP
get message codec is not compatible,i had NERO on PC,but it appears to have vanished to.
I have been looking for download for a codec that is compatible with WIN XP no such luck so far
any help would be appreciated,thanks

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

http://codecguide.com/klcp_ability_comparison.htm
http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Tekken

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

HI,I was looking around in my PC and i found out that there a list of all of the codec stuff that i
need,but still can not play any DVDs.
The recorder i got from TIGERDIRECT plugged right in with no problem but it still will not play the DOO WOP DVD.
Could there be a connection that is not hooked up somewhere that i am not aware of,there were only two connections
on DVD player,i will root around inside of PC and see if i missed something,thanks

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I googled your question and got surprising results that suggest that Windows Media Center requires payware add-ons to play DVDs. I find that difficult to believe. If true, you would be better off installing another player such as freeware VLC. I would anyway, but that's a personal choice.

Edited by Nanobyte, 31 October 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

HI,Well nanobyte,I downloaded VLC and was to play my DOO WOP disk,but when i put in a disk that i recorded on my MAGNAVOX DVD recorder could
not get it to play will try other disks and see what happens,it appears i already had VLC on my PC,BUT I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH downloads
i had done just recently but i think i got those problems taken care,still would like to go back to a #2 lead pencil and paper,thanks

#11 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

I don't have VLC installed at the moment. Sometimes homemade DVDs will not play due to the type of disk burned, though that is rare these days.

If a DVD will not play, you could try playing a VOB file on its own. If you insert the DVD and you have Autoplay enabled, stop the DVD and close the player. In Windows Explorer, look at the disk. Open the folder Video_TS. You will find a number of .VOB files (something like VTS_01_1.VOB). If you cannot read this folder, then it is likely the entire DVD is unreadable as noted in first paragraph. Pick one of the larger ones (they can be up to 1GB in size), double click. If you are asked what program to use, find your way to VLC. .VOB files are essentially MPEG-2 so they should play OK. The smaller VOB files are the menus and extras (if present). If the VOB files play but the DVD won't in a player, then there is something wrong with the menus of the DVD.

Further thought: The term DVD gets used too freely. When it comes to video, there are two very different types of DVD. The first is what you buy in a store with menus and all the files are MPEG-2. The second is when you record some video on to a data file. Those could be avi, mkv, wmv etc. This type of DVD you simply run the file, it does not open with a menu.

Edited by Nanobyte, 01 November 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

HI,nanobyte,this whats showing up when i try to play DVD'S from MAGNAVOX DVD recorder (MRL'dvd:///e:/')its all greek to me until i learn whats what in VLC,THANKS

#13 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Is that message when you play the DVD with VLC or you try to access the files in Windows Explorer (Windows Explorer NOT Internet Explorer)?

I'm guessing that your DVD drive is E:. When you look at E: in Explorer, what do you see? There should be the DVD title and one or two folders.

#14 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Here's what I do;

Go to start > my computer, find the device that the DVD is in. ( DVD Video Recording (F:) drive. For example)
Right click the drive, > click explore. This should show you two folders. AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.

Now open VLC, drag the VIDEO_TS folder into VLC (you don't need the AUDIO_TS folder)

Video should start, if not DVD may be corrupted.

Click on the crappy menu that the magnavox created, and your DVD should play.

I also use Media Player Classic along with FFDShow, but I still use XP, so I don't know what will work on Vista. Win7, Win8.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Media-Player-Classic

Watching Emerson Lake & Palmer on DVD recorded from AXS TV on my Magnavox DVD Recorder in my XP machine on VLC, as we, um . . . er . . . speak. :)

There is a way to get these types of files to autoplay when you insert a DVD. But for the life of me, I can't remember how. Sorry.

Edited by 12x48y, 03 November 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#15 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

HI,12x48y,I did what you suggested,but one that is not happening is i do not see a CD/DVD in my e drive,all i see
is CD in e drive so maybe that's where my problem is that my PC does not recognize a DVD player i need somehow to
turn it on.
As usual with PCS it is something really simple and stupid and i am missing a connection between the two,when i go
into control panel and check if player is hooked up it says there is nothing wrong with it,also my DOO/WOP DVD plays
it could just be something really stupid like my MAGNAVOX recorder is recording in a way that this player can not connect to.
My kid has got a PC just like mine,so i will take a couple DVDS and see if they will play in his player,thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users