Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software for radio dial drawing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RogerAshley

RogerAshley

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hi,
In retirement I have taken to refurbishing vintage radios for a hobby, I have a 1940's R107 radio where the dial is unreadable and warped. I would like to be able to replicate it and print onto transparent sheet. It is half moon shape with the readings around 4 half moon shapes. Can anyone advise me of software which will do this please, preferable a freebee as I will probably only use it once. I tried to include a picture of the old one but don't know how.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

Inserting An Image Within A Post

If you already have a copy of the image, just skip to where it says:

> Go to Photobucket
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 RogerAshley

RogerAshley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

Hi 1911,
I do have a copy but it is very mis-shapen and distorted. Just by putting the old one on the photocopier. I really don't think it is recoverable hense I think I need to produce a new one.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

Hi Roger.
Sorry I can't be of any assistance with your problem.
My post was in response to:

"I tried to include a picture of the old one but don't know how."
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

The best applications for getting sharp detail are vector applications like Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw. All the graphic components are mathematically derived so you can rotate lines and letters with absolute clarity. The problem with bitmap applications like Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photopaint is that when you rotate lines and letters, anti-aliasing is used which results in blurry edges. It could be that your old dials are blurry anyway!

I quickly googled "vector graphics freeware" and the first on the list is Inkscape. A review link also lists DrawPlus. Vector graphics are quite difficult to learn. If you want to play with bitmap graphics The Gimp is the most versatile freeware editor. It's not that easy to use either. The task needs an editor that can do layers (the lettering and dial graduations are separate objects over the background). You may find other applications by googling.

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

Libre Office Draw is an okay open source program for drawings. It certainly isn't as advanced as Illustrator but since you really only have plans to use it once, it might be worth trying

#7 RogerAshley

RogerAshley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped in this quest..I have now successfully used GIMP on both this and a new dial for an Osram Music Magnet made by GEC as a kit way back in 1928.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users