Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop sporadically blacks out

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

I own an HP Touchsmart tx2 laptop, and after three years of admirable service it seems to have given up the ghost... sort of.

After about 1-10 minutes of running, without fail, the screen goes black and the whole machine locks up. Specifically, it's still powered on; the fan keeps running and the hard drive still spins. However, the screen goes completely black, all sound cuts out, the HDD light stays solid, and the only way to get out of it is to hard shutdown the laptop and power it back on. Up until that point the machine runs completely normal; Windows boots just dandy (provided it gets that far) and programs run fine until it blacks out again.

As per the thread description, it's most certainly a hardware problem. My roommate who owns the exact same model of laptop is an absolute prince and let me have his machine. After swapping the HDDs the problem persists on my old laptop and his machine works just fine with my HDD in it. So for sure it's not a virus or software issue. Any idea on what this might be or how to find out? The two laptops are identical in all regards, save that mine has more RAM, a higher-end CPU, and an internal bluetooth receiver (not aftermarket, I just chose different options on my machine).

UPDATE: Not but two seconds after posting this I tried starting the broken machine in safe mode, and now it won't even attempt to boot up anymore. It still powers on but the screen stays black and now the capslock/numlock lights blink repeatedly. I'm fairly sure this means it's irreversibly dead now, but still... any advice?

Edited by Village Baka, 01 October 2012 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Please see this link for Blackscreen LED Error Codes

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users