Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SVCHOST.EXE using too much memory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 crashphoenix

crashphoenix

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hello,
I'm using windows vista home premium with service pack 2 64bit. ASUS CG5270
svchost.exe is showing several processes, but there are 2 overly large ones running, and even when I'm not doing anything (no browser or games open) I can hear my disk drive running like it's being accessed. I've used Malwarebytes and AVG along with windows defender, but no viruses or warnings show. I've downloaded process explorer and on command line it shows: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
On the highest highest one it shows C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs.
Even after rebooting and letting my PC sit unused,those 2 SVCHOST.EXE processes shoot to the top for usage.
People I've talked to have said I could be infected. Is it possible even with my antivirus?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Crash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

On the highest highest one it shows C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs.

Right click on it and click on SERVICES tab

Post the list of services you find there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users