Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS410 Air temp sensor not detected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Dell XPS 410 Intel core 2 6320 @ 1.86GHz ea, Memory 2.00 GB, 32 bit, Vista Home Premium.

Upon booting, screen halts with: Alert! Air temerature sensor not detected. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

F1 naturally lets the OS load, and the machine seems to run fine, but I'm amazed at how darned loud this machine is. 2 and 2 together make be think pehaps the fans are in fact running full speed all the time... (almost like sitting next to a refrigerator that's running all the time).

So, can this be remedied?

Thanks so much,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

It is possible that if the air temp sensor is defective, the system could be defaulting the fans to 100%. Go into BIOS and check your power management settings.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

The power management in BIOS only seems to include settings such as power interuption recovery, and auto-awaking...

Hmmm. My wife has had this at her small retail store the last 2 years. When I brought it home, the cooling system was so plugged with dust (I assume because the fans run 100 percent all the time) - I'm surprised it didn't cook something.

Would the heat sensor (if it comes to that) be something I could replace? (fair with an iron)

#4 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

SOLVED: Reading HERE, I pulled the cover, and discovered the twisted pair from the sensor tucked more than tightly between the covers for the main fan, and the heat sink; the red wire had been severed. Gently separating the two covers with my pocket knife, I removed the wires from their pinch, and soldered the red wire back together.

Now: I no longer get the freeze and warning upon boot, and although not silent by a long shot, the Dell is less that half the noise I had previous.

:) Thanks, happier Joe

PS: I can't help but wonder if this computer has been running without a sensor it's whole life.
(I sure can't picture those wires ending up in such a pinch on thier own) ;)

Edited by Goldenvoice, 01 October 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#5 mgroen

mgroen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

Hi, I have the exact same issue (Alert! Air temperature sensor not detected), it came up just after this weekend, when I cleaned the inside of my pc.

Am I correct that you fixed this issue, by repairing the red cable? (the connector connects 4 small cables to the motherboard: white/blue/red/black

If that is the case I will investigate the cable for any damages.

Do you have any other tips? I would like to hear this issue is pretty frustrating, please post to my email address: mathijs.groen@gmail.com

Many thanks in advance!

Mathijs

SOLVED: Reading HERE, I pulled the cover, and discovered the twisted pair from the sensor tucked more than tightly between the covers for the main fan, and the heat sink; the red wire had been severed. Gently separating the two covers with my pocket knife, I removed the wires from their pinch, and soldered the red wire back together.

Now: I no longer get the freeze and warning upon boot, and although not silent by a long shot, the Dell is less that half the noise I had previous.

smile.gif Thanks, happier Joe

PS: I can't help but wonder if this computer has been running without a sensor it's whole life.
(I sure can't picture those wires ending up in such a pinch on thier own) ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users